Chapter20: Polygamy; Slice of Life

|Dimitri's Pov|

                  A small crowd gathered around Clare in concern. The disbelief they wore on their faces when Clare confirmed my statement by showing them. I felt proud but just as concerned as them because I don't know if it's harming her.

"Now, now, let us allow Dr. Henry to take a look at it," I say as I pulled her away from the inquisitive crowd. "Doctor, have a look at her and see if anything is wrong."

Dr. Henry nodded. Clare and the doctor left silently, leaving the rest of us to discuss.

"Why didn't you tell me about you and Clare?" Samaria whispered angrily.

"Because I was waiting for the right time to. If I had introduced her then it would cause my people to look at you differently and the rest of the other packs, including your own. Divorce is the best way to go because then we both get the opportunity to be with our mates."

She hung her head lowly. She eyes held conflict, well that's something new. It seems she cannot make up her mind on being angry or embarrassed for questioning me. She apologized for her behaviour any way and kept quiet.

"We have to get a hold of Elder Zachary," Felix advised.

"It will be sorted," I assured before dismissing the meeting.

The suspension was killing me about Clare-Rose's well being. I paced the entrance, looking through the slim glass window every once in awhile. She just sat there with a blank expression on her face while Dr. Henry examined her.

"Any pain since he had marked you?"

"Only the common pain that most mates feel after they're marked," Clare responded.

"How long had it taken to subside?

"Only seven days."

"Hmm... Normally it takes two–three days for the pain and the soreness to go down. Maybe it has something to do with his genetic make-up or the fact that your half-human side has a hard time adjusting. If that's all the symptom you felt, then there's nothing to worry about."

I instantly relaxed at the words of Dr. Henry.

She was okay.

After waiting for her to exit the doctor's office, I pulled her in my arms. She frozen in my arms for what seems like the longest, before she returned the hug.

"You don't need to worry. I'm perfectly fine, Dimitri," she muffled in my chest.

"I was so stupid to not check if you were in pain. Or if something was wrong."

"What could've gone wrong?" She questioned so light-hearted.

My embrace on her tightened. "You could've died due to your body unable to manage the mark," I muttered in pain. My goddess, the very thought of that happening kills me.

"I'm still here aren't I? Please, stop your worrying."

Inhaling her scent calmed me down. I pulled away her blouse collar and placed a light kiss on the mark.