XXXVII: confession

Jinyoung blinks and blinks, but no words come out. Jaebeom smiles warningly, squeezing his hands around Jinyoung's, not breaking the eye contact.

"Do... do you mean it?" The younger asks, his expression tells Jaebeom he really cannot believe what's happening and the older can understand why it's hard for him considering everything that's happened recently and how Jaebeom has treated him.

"I wouldn't say it if I don't mean it," Jaebeom smiles. "And I would really appreciate if you actually wake up and I can stop fearing I might lose you one day."

"You might still lose me if I wake up, accidents happen and you know, life. And also there's all—"

Jaebeom starts shaking his head as Jinyoung speaks, brushing off the meaning in his words and how he gets carried away in something that doesn't matter at the moment.

"No, you know I don't mean that." Jinyoung presses his lips and curves in a way that looks like a cat from an anime, both incredible cute and surprisingly endearing. It's the most adorable pout Jaebeom has ever seen and as he watches the other man a wave of affection strikes him so hard he feels like he'll lose his balance. "Would you wake up soon so I can take you on a date?"

"It's not like I— wait, what did you say?" The younger's eyes are so wide when he realises what Jaebeom said, his lips parted in a small O.

Jaebeom didn't even think of saying that, it just escaped him as he was overwhelmed by his feelings for the younger, speaking out loud what he had been harbouring in his heart for so long. Something he hadn't even thought much about it but now he realises how much he wants it.

Embarrassed, the older tries to keep his cool and not look as unbecoming as he knows he does with his cheeks all red and hands sweating a bit. Love confession wasn't in his plans, not when he isn't even sure how Jinyoung feels about him, but he'll have to roll with it.

"I mean... if you're okay with that, I'd like to take you on a date... when you wake up. You know, a normal date? Have delicious food that you can actually eat?" Jaebeom feels like he's just rambling and he feels his face is burning, his whole body feeling hot even in such a cold day.

"Date as in... romantic date?" Jaebeom can barely keep the eye contact at that point, feeling so awkward and uncomfortable. His body wants to run away and save him from the embarrassment of exposing his feelings, but he fights that urge.

"Y-yes, if that's okay with you. I think at this point is very evident how I feel about you," Jaebeom tries to explain, doing his best to look as composed as he can. Jinyoung looks at him with wide eyes that seem to glow. "I like you... a lot... as more than a friend."

Jinyoung doesn't reply in words, but it's almost not necessary because his whole face lights up and he looks blindingly happy, happier than Jaebeom has ever seen him. His smile is wide, open, making his eyes so tiny with the crinkles at the corners that just look like cat whiskers. His own heart races as he sees how overwhelmingly happy Jinyoung looks in that moment, bringing his other hand to cover his mouth, maybe trying to contain his contagious smile.

He looks unbearable beautiful in Jaebeom's eyes.

"That was a lame and awkward confession, was it not?" He teases himself, just to hear Jinyoung's laughter, the crinkles by his eyes getting deeper as the rich sound not only fills his ears but also his racing heart.

"You're as smooth as a cactus, hyung," Jinyoung mocks him and Jaebeom truly tries to look offended, but he can't when Jinyoung looks so joyful in front of him.

"At least I tried, I don't see you saying anything about it," a bit of vulnerability leaks in his voice, showing his anxiousness because even if it looks like his awkward confession made Jinyoung happy, the younger hasn't given him an answer.