I'll always protect us

We would go to great lengths to protect our loved ones.

******

I rubbed my fingers over the scars on the knuckles of my right hand. It was a reminder of a promise I made ten years ago

"So are they going through the divorce?" Damon asked.

"What do you think? they can't stay in the same house in peace. Five minutes and fighting begins. They have a month of couple counselling left, but that would do shit." I was clearly very frustrated right now.

"What about the rest of them," he pressed on. His persistent nature was both irritating and endearing. Without it we would have long broken up.

"Well dad and uncle Aaron hate each other. Uncle Aaron barely communicates with Aunt Rosa. Gramps and Gramms, they stopped visiting in order to avoid all this mess. I wish I could do that." My voice held disdain at our situation.

"Hey! you are not a runner. You are gonna face it and I will help you. Okay?" I could just nod at his sweet words. Without him I would be lost right now. After the night, I had drawn into myself, had angry outbursts and refused to talk to anyone. It was Damon, his persistent nature, that returned me to normal or as normal as I could be after what happened.

I wanted to help my family like he helped me. However, I could not do that if they did not listen. One can only help another person if that person was ready to accept the help. My family wasn't ready like I was. They still blamed themselves.

No matter, I will fix everything, I promised to myself. It won't have the same fate as the promise I made ten years ago.

Ten years ago

Alisha and I were sitting next to each other, playing with our pens. We could not bear to hear more about plants and how they gain their nutrition. We were hungry and bored out of our minds. Lunch could not come any sooner.

Before our teacher got into another lecture on how we were irresponsible brats, the bell rang signalling us that we were finally free. God had answered our prayers. Alisha and I we took our lunch and ran out of the class to the playground.

"Hey, let's go find my sister," I said to Alisha. I just liked to check up on her. We scoured the playground for her. When we finally found her, we were shocked at the sight in front of us. My sister who was always smiling, sat in a corner hugging her knees and balling her eyes out.

Worried I quickly ran up to her and engulfed her in a hug. I started to gently rub her back and softly sing her a song.

 "Now if you feel that you can't go on
Because all of your hope is gone,
And your life is filled with much confusion
Until happiness is just an illusion,
And your world around is crumblin' down;
Darling, reach out (come on girl, reach on out for me)
Reach out (reach out for me.)
I'll be there, with a love that will shelter you.
I'll be there, with a love that will see you through.
I'll be there to always see you through.
When you feel lost and about to give up
'Cause your best just ain't good enough
And you feel the world has grown cold,
And you're drifting out all on your own,
And you need a hand to hold:
Darling, reach out (come on girl, reach out for me)
Reach out (reach out for me.)
I'll be there, to love and comfort you,
And I'll be there, to cherish and care for you.
I'll be there to love and comfort you.
I can tell the way you hang your head,
You're without love and now you're afraid
And through your tears you look around,
But there's no peace of mind to be found.
I know what you're thinkin',
You're alone now, no love of your own,
But darling, reach out (come on girl, reach out for me)
Reach out (reach out for me.)
Just look over your shoulder
I'll be there, to give you all the love you need,
And I'll be there, you can always depend on me. "