You to Me

*Part two of Me to You*

Goku let Bulma read the message, then told her about what happened later that night. He showed her the text as well. "I was holding his phone. There was no way that someone could have done this."

Bulma sat back in her chair, looking at the text. "Who's Varia? Have you heard that name before?"

"No. But what did he mean by I might find him too?" Goku rubbed his neck anxiously. "I'm really creeped out by this. But... I have to figure out what this means."

Bulma handed the phone back. She looked pretty freaked out as well. "I don't know what to think. It's been... Goku, it's been almost a year. We all miss him. I know it's been really hard, but I think it would be better to let this go."

"But he's obviously trying to get in contact with us-!"

"Goku, he's dead," Bulma hissed, her eyes glittering with tears. "Trust me. I know. I sat there and watched him die. I still have nightmares about it. Thank God he was sparing the details in his message. You do not want to know what he was going through, how much it hurt for him to finally die!" She wiped her eyes furiously. "He was dead a long time before his body finally just shut down. I tried so hard to get him to hold on so he could see you, but he was already gone. I..." She held her head and fell silent.

Goku couldn't stop shivering. Half of him still wanted to throw this all away and go find this Varia, but the other half had a sick curiosity for the full truth. "He... He said that he'd been sick... Bulma. What happened?"

Bulma choked back another sob. "Goku, please... Don't- Don't make me relive it."

"Bulma, I need to know." He couldn't believe how calm he sounded.

She shuddered. "That... That morning, he didn't come downstairs. I figured he was sleeping in and left him alone. Then he texted me, asking me to come upstairs. I asked if he was ok and he said that he was throwing up and didn't know why. I went up and-... It- He- There was a lot of blood everywhere. I called the hospital and they got here as fast as they could. Vegeta just- I don't know why there was so much blood, but he just kept throwing up so badly. He told me he couldn't contact you and asked me to try. I did, but you didn't answer.

"We got to the ER and they did an examination, but Vegeta started convulsing and he couldn't stop throwing up. They said that there was some kind of... parasite that was tearing him up, but it was dead and there was no way to repair the damage it had done. Vegeta kept going in and out of consciousness. Whenever he woke up he asked if you were there, because he needed to talk to you. They wouldn't let anyone in with him. It was so bad. Eventually you came and they let me in.

"He- He kept calling for you. He was in so m- much pain. He begged them to let you in, but they refused. There was nothing I could do. I think he was hallucinating because he started talking as if you were there. I don't remember exactly what he said, but he said that he loved you. He begged you to help him, to- make it stop hurting." Bulma sniffled. "He didn't even see me anymore by then. He was terrified, Goku. He called you, he used both of your names. He couldn't breathe; he kept coughing and he was inhaling his own blood. Just when they decided to put him out of his misery, he died. He kept shaking and coughing and choking, but he was gone."

Goku was forced to sit down. That was nothing like he'd imagined. He'd hoped that perhaps Vegeta had been granted an easy, peaceful death for once. But this... This was worse than his previous deaths put together. He felt ill. But something in him felt relief that he finally knew. He'd called him with both names? Why? Vegeta had always refused to resort to his "fake" name. It had ended in a wild, panicking frenzy. That was not what he wanted. "I'm sorry, Bulma," he whispered, his throat tight and his eyes burning. He'd been crying so much lately that he was out of tears to shed.