Ashes of Eden

*Part six of The Fall!*

"Speak, tenebris!" Raphael barked, his frustration clearly showing. He looked poorly rested, nearly ready to fall apart at the seams. "I will resort to higher powers if you fail to cooperate. I know you can hear me and I know you can speak. Heaven's Rays are powerful, but not powerful enough to completely sway you."

Vegeta exhaled, finally making even a partial response to Raphael's probing. "Ssspeak... of what... lucerne lator...? Shall I fill your ears... with deceit?"

Michael came in front of Vegeta. "You know what we want, tenebris. Who is doing this? Or rather how? How is... he... doing this? He's gone." His voice cracked slightly. It was just a pain that would never ease with time. Even I, who had never met the Bringer of Light, grieved his loss.

"Gone... Yes. But... his mere existence... allows this to be possible..." Vegeta chuckled softly, enjoying how he tormented us. "Nng... He... is gone... but never will his followers... forget... and we give him power..."

Raphael frowned, leaning forward. "I don't understand. He is gone. He has no power, no influence."

Vegeta laughed, his eyes closing. "The All-Seer is blind... Only the Three can see now... Coelum's armies are useless when they cannot see..."

Michael growled. "What do you mean!?"

Vegeta's head snapped to the side, a suddenly much more avid attempt to break free. "Coelum knows treachery, that is what I mean!" he rasped, laughing maniacally. "Heaven has its own Judas!"

All three of my elders reeled back in horror and I cringed down in fear. Judas? Had we been betrayed? "Gabriel-"

Gabriel turned to me. "Go to the Three! Now! Don't come back! We'll come for you!"

Terrified I flew away, making my way as quickly as I could to the massive Lights bringing life to coelum. Many angels called out to me, inquiring where I was going in such a hurry, but I did as Gabriel said and didn't stop until I was safe in Their direct light. It was hard to see, but I felt completely safe now. I sensed an acceptance of my unrequested presence and a still, small voice whispered words of comfort to me.

Never before had I heard Their voices, and I was paralyzed by the beauty of it.

I didn't realize then, as I basked in Their safety, that it was the last time that I would hear it as well.

Their voices fell quiet, as if suddenly listening. I looked up too, peering out from the light to try to see if anything was happening. But I couldn't see anything amiss. I noticed that Their light was moving away, as if moving toward or away from something. I didn't feel safe moving, even to follow Them, so I remained where I was, just watching.

Suddenly, like before, the lights of coelum began to flicker, and like before, the light around me died.

I was alone.