Part 8

A/N Italics for flashbacks

"I don't get it!" Kyungsoo exclaimed as the four of us gathered around the coffee table, settling onto the plush cushions of the couch. "Why would they send that many people to break in, and then just leave with a pile of papers? They could've taken her and the papers, and killed Chanyeol in the process without a hitch, but they didn't do anything!"

"Maybe Junmyeon hyung was wrong- maybe it's not really her they're after, maybe they just want information on us? They could have thought we entrusted her with our property papers or something." Jongin suggested. I leaned back, trying to remember anything that stood out when we encountered them in my room.

"No seriously. Get down here. Like, now. Its- OH MY GOD!" Chanyeol called out again. My heart stopped for a split second. That didn't sound good. I sprinted down the hallway towards Yeol's tall figure in front of the doorway. I slowed, stopping beside him. What I saw made my knees weak. I brought a hand to my mouth in horror.

The room was a mess, feathers from the ripped pillows were flying in the air. The carpet was cut to shreds. The safe beneath it was unlocked, dents staining its interior. The door to the bathroom was destroyed, too. My gaze traveled up, to the far side of the room. The couch was flipped onto its side, the cushions slit open cleanly. More feathers dusted the floor. The lamp on my desk was shattered on the floor, and all the drawers had been pulled out of their respective slots and thrown unceremoniously on the floor. But none of my papers were there.

"What...?" I croaked. The rest of the words got stuck in my throat as Chanyeol raised a shaking hand and pointed to the window. Glass shards glimmer on the ground before it, and two figures in black were poised there. I squinted slightly and saw the portable rope zip line leading from my window across to the roof of the building across from it. Two more people.

The man- they were certainly both men, judging from their build- that was crouched on the window sill whispered something to his companion, then attached something to the rope line and jumped off the sill. My throat constricted as I noticed the stack of papers that he held to his chest.

My papers.

I took two steps forward, and the other man was galvanized into action. My eyes widened in slight shock as I realized that he was about to escape, too, and a dashed forward, hoping to catch him. He was faster, though. Two flashes of red lit the ceiling as he pulled back his hand that had been outstretched behind the curtain. With his other hand he latched the metal handle he held onto the rope and jumped. I felt the tips of my fingers brush the ends of his leather jacket, then he was gone. The curtain caught on my shoulder as it moved back into place. I dumbly watched the four men stuff the papers into a duffel bag and frantically run off. My heart beat fast in my chest as I slowly turned around to face Chanyeol, who was still rooted to the spot under the door frame. His eyes slid up to meet mine, and he uttered the single word that we both knew was responsible for the situation.

"Bangtan." Yeol breathed. Another two flashes of red bounced off the ceiling as the curtain slid into place, falling off my shoulder. I nodded at Chanyeol, walking back-

~*~

"Red." I said suddenly. Instantly, Chanyeol's attention was on me. Understanding flashed in his eyes.

"Blood red." He agreed, a strange sort of excitement lighting his dark orbs.

"What?" Kyungsoo's brow furrowed in confusion.

I ignored him and Jongin, hardly acknowledging their presence. "The curtain, when it moved-"

"The light was on the ceiling!" Chanyeol confirmed my suspicions. Automatically, I set my tea on the table and hurtled to the stairs. I flew up the steps and down the hall, the others close at my heels. My breathing was heavy when I bounded into my wrecked room, stalking to the window. I wildly ripped the curtain aside, practically tearing it from its hanger. My heart rose to my throat as my thinking was confirmed, once again.