Chapter 9

My hands began to shake involuntarily as my eyes never strayed away from the buzzing phone. A part of me wanted to answer it so badly, but another part of me didn’t. That part was scared to bits, scared that at any time Nolan could come barging back through the front door and come looking for his phone. If he catches me with it, i’m screwed. But then again, this is my one and only chance that i’ll ever get to talk to Callias again.

And i’ve longed to hear his voice, its been far too long since I have last heard it. My fingers twitched again as they hesitated on reaching the phone, as I licked my dry lips. “It would be wise to not do what I think you are doing Mr. Reed.” Jeeves suggested, I took a quick glance back over my shoulders to him as his eyes kept darting to the phone and to the doorway. Probably expecting Nolan to come back in at any second, just to get his phone back.

This might be my only chance. What was I waiting for? I held my breath and with final resolve took the phone in my hand and flipped it open as I answered the call. I waited for Royce to say something, anything really on the other line before I got too carried away. “Hello?” He smoothly breathed out as my own breath began to hitch. “Royce? This is Darren. Darren Reed.” I whispered as tears began to blur my vision as my hands shook the phone that I clutched onto and placed on my right ear.

“Fucking shit.” Royce cursed out in shock.

“I’ll stand on watch duty Mr. Reed.” Jeeves suggested kindly in understanding as he smiled softly before heading back to the the front door of the hallway. I breathed a sigh of relief when Jeeves didn’t oppose to me using his Nolan’s phone, I clenched my hand onto it tightly as I rose up and sat back down on the couch. I heard rustling on the other end as Royce hesitated to speak as he stuttered out…”Darren? Oh my goddess, where are you? Where is Nolan? How did you get your hands on his phone in the first place? This is rich.” Royce sarcastically drawled out.

He was asking way too many questions at once, and I didn’t know what to say or answer to him. My throat was way too clogged up from fear and all the hope that kept bubbling its way up my throat. I tried to speak but it came out raspy and hoarse, “I-... I don’t know.” I whispered, making him curse out as he started to argue with another person on the other line. “Darren, I want you to listen to me and listen to me well. We are going to get you out, but I need you to be calm, and whatever you do don’t hang up on the phone; stay on the line.”

He stated firmly. Stay on the line? But what if he comes back and catches me on the phone? “I’m using the phone to track you through his location using the satellite connections. Stay with me Darren do you hear me?” I gulped before croaking out... “yeah.” Out of all the things that I could say at a time like this, that was the only word I could come up with.

I was honestly left speechless. And I couldn’t figure out anything else to say to Royce, as the words that I longed to say couldn’t slip past my lips. Fear choked me on the inside like a vice grip. All I wanted was to speak to Callias,  I needed to speak to Callias. “I’m putting Callias on the line, he wants to speak to you Darren, I need you to stay on the line do you hear me Darren? Do not hang up the phone, I am almost done transferring the database.” He murmured as he passed the phone to Callias. Tears were beginning to fall freely now as I couldn’t back in my choked up sobs.

I finally heard his voice, the voice that I longed to hear for; for  the longest time. “Darren?” Callias breathed through the other line, this time...I let a sob escape freely past my parted  lips. My heart ached and panged inside my chest as I imagined his warm and piercing eyes staring back at me through the other line. “Darren, love stay with me.” He whispered gently as I could also hear his voice begin to crack on the other side.