Chapter 27

“I suggest that we take our seats.” Jack mentioned, as we mutually agreed and took a seat at a near by sofa set. I still felt uncomfortable and queasy, mostly because of the lingering scent that Royce’s blood left behind. But Callias’ strong scent overpowered that, making it much more bearable. He moved my body around so that I sat back into his lap comfortably.

He had his arms wrapped firmly around my waist, as he leaned his chin down on my shoulder. To my left, Serge and Logan also sat down next to us in the same position, while Nikolas stood off somewhere in the corner of the room awkwardly.

My hands shook in my lap, when Jack took an uneven breath before slowly letting it out. He clasped one of his large, and shaky hands onto his forehead, before letting them run through his wavy locks of hair;only to bring his hand back down his side again.

“Maybe you should be the one to take a seat.” I suggested lightly, trying to ease up the awkwardness. Jack let out a hoarse chuckle as he rubbed the nape of his neck. “I suppose you’re right.” He mumbled before letting his body plump down onto one of the soft sofa cushions that stood near us.

He crossed his long legs over the other, until he changed his mind and stretched them out. He whipped his hand out to Jeeves’ wrist, only to wrap and curl his fingertips over it and bring him back down to his lap. Catching Jeeves off gaurd. Everything about them was so cute. I loved seeing Jeeves blush when he gets easily flustered.

“In my past life, I did run a pack with Jeeves. Back then, I was Lois Sachar, and Jeeves was and still is my mate, by the fates’ standards.” He began, while taking a short pause only to play with Jeeve’s hair. “At that time, I wanted a pack that consisted of only males. I was taunted for it, mocked by my own elders. Males couldn’t be strong enough to hold a solid place in the pack on their own...there had to be females, to support them. But I wanted to prove them wrong, and I did; only... it didn’t last for very long.” I hated it when plans backfired too.

“Males mated with other males. But soon, that began to fall apart on itself, our pack was under a dark and devastating threat...the sub mates in the pack began to grow ill, and were slowly beginning to perish. Our pack was on the verge of extinction in other words. And as their alpha, I was desperate. I had to do something to save my pack before it was my mate’s turn to face that same threat. I prayed to the moon goddess that same night. And every night after that, but she was quiet for a long time, and because of that I began to question my beliefs in the moon goddess. I began to grow angry at her.”

My heart froze as sudden goosebumps ran up and down my spine like an ice cube running smoothly against my bare skin. Chilling me to the bone.

“My mate did slowly began to fall ill; just like the others.” My heart lurched and did a 360 degree backflip at the sight of Jack’s twinkling starlight tears, and Jeeve’s shaky hands. That sounded so stressful, they have been through so much. I watched Jack, as he stuck out his tongue and licked his bottom lip.

His eyes began to glaze over and shift at the memory. It must have been hard to talk about. “Jeeves, was beginning to grow ill; and fast. He had the same symptoms that the other subs had just before they were about to leave the world. But...his symptoms were somehow different than the rest.” I knitted my eyebrows together at that. Eager for him to continue.

My body leaned slightly forward. “That night….I continued to pray to the moon goddess, I prayed every night since the first night that Jeeves became ill. My pack members at this point were slowly beginning to dissipate; one by one. If  a dominate's sub left the world than he would swiftly follow. A sub to the dom is his world, without their sub they are incomplete. And likewise to the sub.Their world would be meaningless, surely... you would be able to understand that.” He whispered, surprised at himself when his voice cracked at the end.