Chapter 32

My eyelids grew heavy, while I fought to keep them peered open while the slow but long night dragged on. My head started growing light headed as a wave of dizziness threatened to keep me from sitting upright.

Logan kept pinching my arm every now and then to keep me from toppling over myself, and I was thankful for that. But a strangled gasp escaped my parted chapped lips when he pinched my arm a little too harshly this time around.

I quickly swiveled my head towards him and gave him the most nastiest glare that I could muster. Logan pretended not to notice as a playful smirk perked up at his corners. That bitch. I grumbled to myself, as I lazily glazed down over my already empty plate of food and began to play with the silverware.

“Serge, your son, is next in line to the Alpha title, am I not correct?” Atheros asked. From the corner of my eye Callias’ body grew rigid and tense as he clenched onto the glass of wine. “Yes he is.” He gritted out; I frowned.

“Surely, it would be reasonable to let him reign. After all, you’re coming of age now Callias, and your son already has his mate. “He mused as his eyes twinkled against the moonlight. Callias said nothing to do that, and it worried me. He hasn’t been himself these past few weeks. “Your mate looks awfully young as well.” Atheros began. “He is not a were, oh no, he is just a simple human.” He chortled as he took another zip of his wine.

I flinched when Atheros spat out the last word. “He doesn’t understand the were customs that the lycan society obtains. Think about it Callias, if you were to still reign with your mate by your side, what would the lycan court think?” There was short pause before Atheros stood up and abruptly slammed the table down with a tight fist.

"Its blasphemy, for a man of your age to mingle with a boy of Darren’s age Callias. You’re taking away his future, you have already lived out your days Callias. Let the boy live out his!” He snarled.

“Besides, how would the were community take a liking to your human?” Teagan interrupted cockily. My head snapped towards him hatefully, I could already feel myself begin to seethe. “He doesn’t understand our world, its shaming for a human to collaborate with affairs that don’t affiliate him.” He muttered under his breath while looking down on his fingernails. I was about to say something to that when Callias did the one thing I least expected him to do.

“You’re both... right.” He’s actually agreeing with them, my heart shattered as it sank to the pit of my stomach. He agreed with them. “Dad, are you alright?” Serge cautiously asked. Callias sighed before continuing, “Logan is not much older than Darren is, but i’m sure that he can rule by my son’s side wonderfully. Besides It is about time for me to retire.” He whispered solemnly.

A surprised look swam deep in Athero’s eyes at Callia’s thick response. I was more than surprised than he was. Callias was a man that had the ripe apparel of somebody that could easily be feared of. But right now, he really wasn’t living up to that extent and it worried me. As if sensing my gaze Callias turned toward me with a soft smile in his eyes.

“As much as I hate to admit it Darren, Atheros is right. I’m getting old, and i’ve been putting this off for so long that it became difficult for me to cope with at some point. Serge, is the rightful air to the throne. I have no reason to hold him back from that privilege.” I forced a smile on my face as his fingers gently glided over my cheekbone.

I sighed and closed my eyes in bliss as I leaned into his warm hand. “Dad...are you sure about this? You’re probably being irrational, after all you just had a couple of drinks, and this is a rushed decision--” Serge was caught off when Callias raised up his hand to silence him. “No it is not.”