Chapter Three

First period at Frida Kahlo High. Sophomore Physical Science with Ms. Todd. She was youngish, in her early thirties, with blonde hair.

The tardy bell had rung a few minutes before. Students listened to their teacher, which was something they did on occasion. Last year's test scores suggested that most of Kahlo's student population had trouble retaining what had been taught to them.

"Dry lightning is lightning that occurs without significant precipitation."

Ms. Todd paced at the front of the room while she addressed the class. Victor's seat was empty in the first row.

Sergio raised a hand but didn't wait to be called on. "What's 'press...press-uh...press-up-uh-station'...?"

His buddy (practically his twin) Bart, chimed in with, "It's like when you sweat or something."

Mikaela Martinez, pretty and popular, looked back at Bart. "You really think there's lightning every time you don't sweat?"

Sergio said, "Where's the lightning right now? I ain't sweating."

"You musta found your deodorant." Bart snickered. "'Cause you smelled baaaad after P.E. yesterday."

The whole class laughed.

Ms. Todd shook her head. "Bart, that's enough."

Nerdy Colin Cisneros waited for the teacher's approval before stating, "No, they're thinking of 'perspiration,' right?"

Ms. Todd nodded. "Yes, that's correct."

Colin beamed. "'Precipitation' means 'rain'."

The teacher gave him a thumbs-up. "Right again." Now, to the whole class: "It's a good thing you all came in today, so you could all hear about what's happening this afternoon."

The door against the back wall creaked open. Victor strolled in, backpack slung over one shoulder. Many students looked his way.

The teacher continued, despite the distraction. "There will be a dry lightning storm some time shortly after school today."

Before sitting down, Victor fist-bumped his homeys, Sergio and Bart.

Sergio said, "What up, dawg?"

"Bring me some breakfast from 7-Eleven, or what?" asked Bart.

Ms. Todd cleared her throat. "On time again, Victor."

The boy made it to his seat, dropped his backpack onto his desk. But since there wasn't really anything inside the tagged-up grey Jansport except for a Sharpie, a single broken #2 pencil, and a Snickers candy bar, the bag didn't make much of a sound. "Yeah, so?"

The teacher leaned in close to him. "Today's excuse is...?"

"I'm here, ain't I?"

Ms. Todd moved in closer to make sure only Victor could hear her. "Do I have to call home again?"

The teenager snorted. "You would."

"Alright, then."

Victor locked eyes with her. "Do whatever you're gonna do."

The woman stood up straight, sighed. There was no reaching this kid, sometimes. She knew his mother had passed away a couple years before, and since then he'd had a real problem with female authority figures.

So she focused on the other kids. "Okay, when there's dry lightning, there's little to no rain at all."

Colin, trying to up his know-it-all status, added, "The clouds don't even get dark."

"Not necessarily. But it's good to bring that up, Colin."

Sergio coughed, "Teacher's Pet," and then pretended like nothing happened.

Bart cackled. "Need something to wipe our chorro with, T.P.!"

"Boys! Want detention again?" Ms. Todd's tone said she wasn't playing around. But sometimes she didn't follow through with her threats.

Sergio and Bart smiled at each other and at Victor, too, but they backed down. Detention sucked, plain and simple. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Ms. Todd waited a few seconds to make sure the boys were finished before saying, "It might not seem like there's a storm this afternoon, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. You have to be careful. Know that there'll be some lightning strikes. Be smart while you're outside. If you hear thunder..."

Ms. Todd looked Colin's way, so he finished her thought: "Don't go climbing any trees."

"Couldn't agree with you more."

"Someone put this Teacher's Pet in a cage," Bart said.

Colin knew he had to stand up for himself somehow. Otherwise, these idiots would keep coming at him. "Shut up!" That was the best he could do.

Victor exploded from his seat. "What you just say? Better show some respect!" He was next to Colin in a flash, fists clenched.

Ms. Todd shouted, "Victor, sit down!"

Victor towered over Colin. "You just tell my boy to shut up? Is that it?"

Silence fell over the rest of the class. A fight this early in the day? How'd they get so lucky!

"Victor, stop!" Ms. Todd got close to Victor, but she didn't dare touch him. The dynamite was about to go off. She didn't want to get caught in the blast.

Victor breathed deep, glaring at Colin. Little dork looked like he was about to soil his pants.

He clutched Colin's shirt collar, pulling the kid up out of his seat. "Think you're tough and all that? You ain't nothing."

He knew the teacher was yelling at him to knock it off. But her voice was faint, somewhere far away. The world was just him and the little twerp trying to shake him off.

"Dude!" Colin cried. "My shirt!"

"What about it?"

"My mom just got me this!"

Victor raised his fist. "Say that again!"

Colin's voice trembled. "What do you mean? Say what again?"

"Crack that fool!"

"Squash him, dawg!"

Victor could hear his friends. The teacher now, too.

"Put him down, Victor! Put him down!"

Finally, Victor listened. He threw Colin down and stepped over the chump.

The classroom was in chaos. The rest of the kids, animals, screamed at the two boys, jumping over desks to get a better look at the carnage to come.

Ms. Todd was dumbfounded. How had things escalated so quickly? She darted to the room phone and called the front office for backup.

Victor, a Terminator, focused solely on the mission before him. Kill, kill, kill.

"Don't do it! You'll hurt him!"

Victor, the mindless robot, saw Mikaela standing nearby. She looked disgusted.

Victor saw himself through her eyes. He was a monster, just like his dad. Not drunk on alcohol, but drunk on rage.

"Screw this." Victor released the little punk. "I got you later, though."

"Ahhh! What!"

"Weak!"

Victor ignored his friends. He went back to his desk, picked up his backpack.

Standing against the wall, phone in hand, Ms. Todd said, "Victor, go to the Dean. Security's already on the way. They'll probably pick you up outside."

"Yeah," said the boy. "I know!"

He rushed out of the room like a bull, slamming the door open, disappearing into the hallway.

Colin stood up on shaky legs, wiping away tears. He readjusted his shirt, noticed that the collar was stretched out. His mom was going to be livid.