Chapter Twenty-Nine

The room at the police station was a drab, grey lockbox, and Colin was trapped inside.

He sat at a long table next to his sister, who looked ready to pass out. It was dead quiet in there, and they could hear the buzz of the fluorescent lights above them.

At the moment, their mother was in the restroom, no doubt bawling her eyes out, wondering how she went so wrong and raised such terrible children. Their court-appointed attorney was on the phone in the hallway, dealing with something more important than them. The two detectives who'd been questioning Colin and Courtney had stepped out for a coffee break.

"They don't have anything on us," Colin said, breaking the silence, doing his best to convince himself that everything would be alright.

In his soul, he knew Victor had been the one to run his mouth to Ms. Todd, who ran her mouth to Mr. Koontz, who ran his mouth to the principal, who called the cops.

Victor, that snitch, would get what he deserved.

They all would.

Courtney looked forward, at the wall. "I already confessed at school."

"Well, I didn't. And there's no proof that what you say is even true. As long as I continue to deny, deny, deny, I'll be fine."

"I can't believe I let you drag me into this. I can't believe all that you did. I mean, really. It's like you're not even Colin anymore."

"Don't make me slap you again."

Courtney's jaw dropped. "You're permanently damaged, aren't you?"

"I'm doing great."

"Sure, you are. That's why I came clean, you know. Once the principal got me in her office, I knew that maybe she could help you. Even if I got in trouble, too, at least you'd get help."

"This is helping? Telling everything to the freaking cops?!"

"Maybe they can help fix your ruined brain."

Colin focused on the lights in the ceiling, furrowing his brows, concentrating. He imagined the fluorescence was glowing brighter. Buzzing louder. The bulbs and fixtures were ready to explode. Ready to fall upon his sister, smash her head in, drive shards of glass deep into her throat.

Alas, nothing happened.

Courtney said, "I want to hate you so much, Colin. But...that's not easy. You used to be so...good. And I realize now that things were better that way. I just want you to get right again. To be the old you. I didn't know someone could get arrested for taking pictures like that. Maybe I would've shut up if I did. But you need help, okay?"

Colin wanted to strangle her with his bare hands. Look at where her "help" had gotten them!

Instead, he snorted. "Yeah, thanks."

"How long you think they can put us away for?"

"Like I said, there's no proof."

He'd eliminated all evidence as soon as Mikaela's photo was sent. He'd ordered the digital image to run away and never come back.

"But they have your phone."

"I told you. I deleted the picture a long time ago."

"On your phone, yeah. But once you send something, isn't it like out there forever and ever?"

"'Out' where?"

"Just...out in the world. Can't the cops probably trace it somehow?"

Colin shook his head. "No way. I got rid of it completely."