World So Cold

I never thought I'd feel this

Guilty and I'm Broken down inside

Living with myself Nothing but lies

I always thought I'd make it

But never knew I'd Let it get so bad

Living with myself Is all I have

- World So Cold by Three Days Grace-

Day 3: Cold

World So Cold

Disclaimer: All Fairy Tail Characters Belong To Hiro Mashima

Natsu walked out into the cold pre-dawn air closing the door behind him gently, not wanting to wake up Happy. If his heart had not already broken, it would do so now as he abandoned his son figure without a word or a note goodbye. Just like Igneel had done to him. He knew it was for the best, he could no longer stay in Magnolia and Happy would insist on coming with him. He could not take him from Carla and Lily and all the people that he loved. Wendy would take care of Happy, of that he was sure. Eventually, he hoped Happy would come to understand why he had to leave.

He quickly checked to make sure he had all of his belongings with him before taking one last look at the place he had called home. The sign that read Natsu & Happy exuded a cheer he no longer felt. Still, he tried to feel something through the numbness that had settled into his soul the moment her screams had died, and he knew without a doubt that she was never coming back. He felt nothing, but then again he hadn't really expected to. How could he? He had killed Lucy with the magic that he had only ever used to help people or destroy enemies. He shivered as the chill in the air settled uncomfortably on his exposed skin. He would need to get used to this feeling, find nonmagical ways to fight it off.

Cold. The word meant both nothing and everything to Natsu. It was something that he had never really felt physically, yet it also represented the one person he loved the most. Natsu had never spoken those words out loud, never let him know how he felt, and now that he was leaving he never would. It was just as well, he was no longer worthy of love.

He examined the magic sealing bracelet he was wearing on his right wrist. He had not locked it yet, there was still one last task that required his magic. Then he would lock it and be burdened with his magic no more. He began walking towards the edge of town trying to beat the sun so that no one could see him leave. He almost succeeded. Ahead of him, there was one person who had remained sober through all the recent events, mostly because he wasn't old enough to drink. And he had been watching.

Romeo Conbolt stood at the edge of town. He had been standing in this same spot for several hours not quite sure when Natsu was going to try to sneak out of town but aware that it would be on this day. Lucy's funeral had been yesterday, and with the guilt the Fire Dragon Slayer felt, he was bound to take off.

"Where's Happy?" Romeo asked, his face saddened at the realization that he'd been correct. As it had gotten later, he'd started to hope that maybe he'd been wrong.

"He's at home sleeping," Natsu replied, looking down at the ground. He was not so far gone that he wasn't disgusted by his actions.

"You're leaving him behind? Did you at least tell him you were leaving?" Romeo demanded.

The way Natsu refused to meet his eyes was enough of an answer.

"Damnit, Natsu! You don't have to leave at all."

"You're wrong Romeo. I don't deserve to live here any longer, and Happy deserves a better life than what he would get where I'm going. I know he won't understand that at first, but time dulls all wounds. It certainly did that for me."