Two

Triton was making the final adjustments to his hair when a loud knock sounded at his door, followed by hollering on the other side.

"Come in!" he yelled out, knowing it was friends on the other side.

That was one of the things he loved about his home.

Everyone was made to feel welcome in the palace and his friends were almost like his brothers, given the way his parents treated them.

They were like part of the furniture around here.

"Well look at you!" Calix whistled as he entered with three other men, "you really did go and shine your scales for tonight!"

"Please," Triton replied, "I had to make sure I was going to some sort of an effort, you know what my mother's like..."
"Your mother is a Goddess in all ways and I won't hear you say otherwise," Tassos cut him off, "you need to do your parents proud and this is one way to show that."

The others smiled knowingly.

Triton was their unofficial leader, but Tassos was clearly the father-figure within the group.

He grinned and rolled his eyes playfully, knowing how seriously Tassos took anything to do with the royal family, he was well versed in its history and culture.

"Anyway," Belen flopped onto Triton's bed, "enough of the pep talk dad, the real question is, who the lucky maiden is going to be this evening," he looked over at Triton, "given any more thought to it yet?"

"Not really," Triton admitted as he carefully reached for his crown and placed it on his head, moving his dark curls so they were out of his face, "I just really don't know..." he sighed.

"Geez your crown really is small," Mateo remarked, "looks more like a diadem..." he snorted.

Triton glared at him.

"I dare you to say that to my mother," he replied.

Mateo looked at him silently, knowing that an angry Amphitrite, was not a good Amphitrite.

Especially when it came to her son.

"Shall we head off then lads?" Calix asked, "you all ready Tri?"

"As ready as I'll ever be," he said as he gave a wry smile.

The five young men set off out of Triton's room and began to make their way towards the Great Hall.

"So," Belen continued his earlier line of questioning, "who do we think might be potential maidens for our man Triton?"

They thought for a moment.

"What about Agata?" Calix suggested.

"No way!" Triton shook his head quickly, "bit of a stalker that one. Remember how I was losing my scales and the doctors couldn't work out why?"

The others nodded their head in agreement.

"Take a closer look at the necklace she now wears..." he trailed off, "unusual colour it is..."

"Wait!" Calix's eyes widened, "I've seen it! It's...it's made up from your scales!"

Triton nodded his head silently.

Everyone knew that the Gods had different coloured scales on their bodies compared to all others in the kingdom and Tritons were a distinctive bright blue with hints of silver.

"Man, I can't believe she made a necklace out of your scales...she's a seahorse boiler that's for sure!" Mateo replied, "hey what about Alyona?" he suddenly exclaimed, "she's got a great body on her..."