Six

Catherine

Catherine's eyes fluttered open and she let out a small groan, her mind seemingly hazy as she tried to focus.

She gave up and closed her eyes, burying herself down under the warm blankets, hoping she might feel better after a bit more rest.

She nuzzled into the pillow and realised the material wasn't hers.

Nor was the scent on it.

Her eyes shot open and she sat up, taking in her surroundings and realising to her horror that she wasn't at home at all.

The sound of waves crashing outside and the gentle moving lull reminded her of her last memory.

Her father.

The pirates.

And now she was here on their ship.

Trapped.

Surely, she was going to die on here.

She was going to be tortured and then killed, she was certain of it.

Catherine sat silently as she listened to the men up above and she bit her lip to keep from crying, feeling her situation was one of sheer hopelessness.

She suddenly heard footsteps coming closer from outside her door and she felt the hairs on the back of her neck stand on end.

Was this to be the first of many...

She couldn't even bring herself to think the worst was coming.

Well she wasn't going to go down without a fight.

If they were coming to take her purity, she wasn't going to give it to them on a silver platter.

She heard a rattling of keys and immediately she threw the blankets off, looking around the room frantically for something to defend herself with.

The door opened slowly and Catherine grabbed the first thing her hand reached for and swung it back, ready to strike whoever was coming into the cabin.

The man had hardly stepped in when he was hit several times in the face by Catherine, shouting in surprise at the onslaught.

Catherine realised what she was holding onto and stopped, stepping back, her hand still raised, the now half broken weapon clasped in her hand.

She looked down at her hand, as did the man opposite her, the broken half falling to the ground with a thud.

Calico ran his hand over his face, brushing it clean before looking at Catherine.

"What were you planning to do? Feed me to death?" he asked as he quirked an eyebrow.

Catherine's mouth fell open, unable to say anything as Calico leaned down and picked up the broken half of the French baguette off the floor and placed it back on the tray next to the bed.

He picked up the knife on the tray and began slicing the baguette up, before beginning on the cheese and apples.

"I'm surprised you didn't pick up the knife instead," Calico went on casually as he continued cutting.

Catherine glanced down at the other half of the baguette in her hand.

"I...uh...this just felt...bigger..." she trailed off.

"That's what they all say darling," Calico smirked at her before offering her a plate of food.

She hesitated, still on edge with being in such proximity to a thieving murderer.