Five

Catherine

She placed her bonnet back onto her head, retying the bow under the left side of her chin before smoothing down the front of her dress.

She smiled as she watched Mary carefully hang the dress up, placing a cover over it to keep it safe.

"This should be the last fitting before the big day Catherine!" she said with excitement as she smiled at the young woman, "the only thing you need to decide on now is your veil," she reminded her, "given any thoughts to that?"

Catherine smiled, albeit a sad one before replying.

"I was thinking of wearing my mother's..." she trailed off, "father still has it in the attic with some of her things..."

Mary moved over to the younger woman and embraced her for a few moments before standing back and looking at her.

"She would have been absolutely over the moon with you getting married and all," she said, "you know she'll be looking down on you on your big day."

Catherine wiped at her eyes, sniffing before breaking out into a laugh.

"She would have been telling everyone what to do, when to do it and how to do it and then still grumbling it wouldn't be right!" Catherine said.

"She'd be mighty proud of you though, what you've become," Mary went on, "mighty proud."

"Alright, that's enough!" Catherine shook her hands to stop herself from really crying, "I didn't come here to cry, I came here to try on my wedding dress!"

"Which normally leads to tears anyway so..." Mary shrugged her shoulders.

Both women walked out to the service counter of the boutique store, Catherine's gaze falling on a display of brand new fabrics.

"Fresh in from Paris," Mary said as she noticed what had captured Catherine's attention, "anything tickle your fancy?"

Catherine looked over them before one caught her eye.

"This one," she said as she delicately ran her fingers over the dark green material, "this would make a beautiful suit..."

Mary picked the roll of material up and placed it on the counter.

"What are you..." Catherine began to question before Mary held her hand up to her.

"Consider it a wedding gift," she said, "when you and that handsome young husband of yours go off on your honeymoon, you need to be leaving in something spectacular!"

Catherine giggled at the over the top hand gestures from the older woman.

"You're too kind to me Mary," Catherine smiled.

"Nonsense," she replied, "now off with you, your father will be waiting to see you I'm sure," she smiled fondly.

"Thank you again Mary," she said, "I'll pop in next week and I'll bring the veil with me."

"You see that you do dear," she replied as Catherine opened the shop door.

"Bye Mary," she said.

"Bye dear," Mary replied as Catherine walked out and closed the door behind her, enjoying the sun's warmth as she made her way down the street.

She followed the cobblestone road, smiling at people as she passed them by until she made it to the bakery, purchasing pies and tarts before continuing on her way.

Catherine entered the old bluestone building, nodding hello to several staff as she made her way to her father's office.

She stopped at his door and knocked, waiting for him to reply before entering.