Chapter 3 - You're crazy!

As we near the chamber from which the sound came from, we are forced put out the torch and feel our way forward. Luckily the tunnels we are currently in are quite close to the surface and moonlight finds its way in through the clear ice, partially lighting up our way.

Suddenly, Astrid, who is walking a bit ahead of me, stops and lays a hand on my chest, pushing me backwards as she herself also carefully backs away.

Understanding why, I keep quiet and move closer to the wall.

Astrid gives me a look and then slowly inches closer to the corner, glancing around. She must have seen something shocking because she can't help but let out a small gasp.

Hurriedly moving back, she then turns around and even quieter than before, whispers, "There are five of them, four are asleep and the last one, it's different, it's light blue. Also, I, I think there were eggs..."

I silently take in the information.

Although it's very interesting and something we should study, the only thing I can think about right now is finding that lens.

"Did you see a chest?"

Astrid signs for me to wait and takes another look, throughly scanning the surroundings.

"Yes.. But, it's near the eggs.."

Frowning I sink into thought and then move around her, taking a look for myself as I think about what to do.

"..Hiccup?"

I turn back to look at her.

"I have a plan, but you are not going to like it."

We split up. Following the tunnels that hopefully lead around the chamber, to the other side, Astrid takes Stormfly and leaves.

I move a bit forward in order to observe the situation inside, then I wait.

After a while, the blue one lifts its head as if hearing something.

I hold my breath.

This is the critical part, Astrid and Stormfly need to make a sound loud enough to draw it out, but small enough that it doesn't wake the others. But that's not all, these tunnels are unpredictable, and if they didn't manage to get far enough or in the right direction, the Snow Wraith might just choose to exit through my tunnel instead of the one on the other side...

Even if everything goes right, there is still a risk that it can catch up with them...

Seeing the blue one exit on the other side, I shake off all my worries and move forward.

I still need to do my part or all their efforts will be for naught.

Taking the route calculated in my head, I slowly advance, however when I come into a certain range, the Snow Wraiths start showing signs of waking up, sniffing the air.

I hurriedly move further away and keep to the wall as I continue onwards.

It's too slow.

Needing to move around them messed up my plans and when I finally get to the chest, I try to grab it only to discover that it's frozen stuck.

I glance towards the tunnel the blue one disappeared into and then take out my knife and begin to carefully pray the chest open.