Chapter 4 - Not giving up

Standing around, we watch Fishlegs hold up the Dragon Eye and test Hookfang's fire.

"It's no good, Hiccup, non of our dragons work."

The room sinks into silence.

When we set out for the Dragon Eye lens, no one had thought of the fact that we might not get it working.

"Hiccup, it's alright, we will find the dragon needed-"

"No."

Astrid is trying to comfort me and I know that she means every word, these guys would probably relentlessly search for it until Toothless' last breath. But it would be useless, even if they searched their whole life they probably wouldn't be able to find the dragon needed out there, because he is one of the last ones of his kind.

"..No?"

I take a deep breath and then painfully say.

"It's Toothless."

"What are yo-"

"When I opened that chest, although I only saw it briefly, there was a painting on the inside of the lid... It needs a Nightfury's fire."

Snatching the Dragon Eye from Fishlegs, I run out, towards my hut.

I hadn't especially taken notice of the painting when I first saw it, it was only now that I realized its meaning.

To save him who hasn't woken up, I need his help.

Fate is cruel.

Pushing open the doors I hurry to his side and kneel down.

"Toothless, Toothless, please... I need you bud..."

He remains unmoving.

My vision becomes blurry and I lower my head as tears escape my eyes.

"Hiccup..."

I don't look back but I know that they are all standing there at the entrance.

After a while someone carefully walks up to me and puts a hand on my shoulder.

"Hiccup, I'm sorry..."

It's over, it's all over.

This was the last chance, but now...

I close my eyes.

"Hiccup!"

Hearing them gasp and shout my name, as well as the others running up the stairs, I partially open my eyes and see a blurry blue light.

I hurriedly look up.

He's awake.

The Dragon Eye in my hand is glowing and I quickly direct it to the wall before turning my head back.

Done charging, Toothless weakly looks over at me and lowly snarls before laying his head back down and closing his eyes.

I stroke him and rest my head against his, whispering.