3. Eyes Are The Window To The Soul

Hiccup's POV

After stitching my patient up carefully, I backed away from him and sighed. That was by far the most stressful heart transplant I had ever done. Robin Hood, a park ranger for national landmarks, had a heart disease known as McCartney's Heart (made it up). Basically, Mr. Hood was at risk of heart attacks whenever and the only way to cure it is with a heart transplant. So when he came across a bear in the woods with his squad members, the bear managing to claw at his leg as he ran, he experienced a heart attack.

Mr. Hood was brought into the O.R immediately and while I worked on his desperately needed heart transplant, Donna Homes stitched up his leg. Unfortunately, during the procedure, Hood lost too much blood so not only did I have to wait by holding his skin open to have a stable heart beat on his new heart but the matching blood type was delaying Homes and I. The whole ordeal basically ended up with Homes and I shouting orders at the new interns, who had to observe our work, to find out what was taking so long.

"I can't feel my legs." Donna panted, her hands on her knees. I rolled my eyes, try replacing a heart Donna. I couldn't fell my anything, which I took as a bad sign.

"Same. I'm so lucky I'm done for today." I sighed as I walked into the separate room to wash my hands. Donna followed behind me, along with the four interns.

"Haddock! Wait up!" DeLuca, one of the interns, shouted for me after I finished washing my hands and was starting to walk out the door.

"Yeah?" I asked, allowing him to walk beside me to the changing room.

"Um, I read your book on Cardiology and I was really inspired by you and all your work. I mean, you saved that man's life in there and it was very, just, mind blowing really and-"

"DeLuca, where are you going with all this because I have a wife waiting for me at-"

"I would be an honor if you can teach me what you do, sir." He smiled as I grabbed my jacket hanging in my locker. I was taken back a bit by this. No one has really asked me to teach them my ways in doing things, they all just observe my work and replicate it.

"Uh, sure." I mumbled and walked out of the hospital with him. "We'll start tomorrow. A patient of mine is scheduled for a checkup and that's where I would like you to start." Grabbing my keys, I unlocked my car.

"What time should I report for duty?" DeLuca said in a determined voice, as if he was in the military, making me chuckle.

"Two hours before noon." I replied and waved as I drove away. DeLuca sure was something. He lost his brother in the military a few months ago. Back then, DeLuca worked for the military as a medical aid. He transferred over to the Burgess Hospital, not wanting to see any more people loose their lives because of the military, and applied for a cardiologist spot. Hence, him being able to observe my work.

"You're late!" Merida chirped happily as I opened the door to our apartment. She even skipped to the door and gave me a short kiss. Toothless, my black cat, purred and rubbed himself against my feet.

"And you're acting weird!" I said in the same tone with jazz hands. She scoffed and walked into the kitchen, while Toothless at his lunch of cat food.

"Well, forgive me for trying to be nicer." Merida grumbled and sat down at the dining table. She made macaroni and cheese, but her way which had more cheese, breadcrumbs, and bacon. I started drooling at the sight of it as she smiled.

"I love you just the way you are. But why nicer?" I raised a brow as I served myself some after she finished serving herself.

"It's totally not because some kid cried after finding out they're in my team." She spoke with sarcasm, making me laugh. Merida works as an archery instructor at Monroe High School. The students get to do different activities in their physical education and Merida teaches archery, self defense, and martial arts.