3 | We Can Mend

Your phone rang.

You spared a glance down at the screen and took a double take. It was Peter.

"Hello?" You nervously answered.

"Hey..."

You heard his voice through the connection. You were so happy to hear it you almost forgot the two of you were fighting. "What's up?"

"Uh..." You had a mental image of him rubbing the back of his neck. Whoa, did you really still remember that tiny aspect of him so vividly? "I have something to tell you."

You waited. Was this finally it? Was this the moment if your life where Peter would say your phrase and then you would run straight to him and marry him on the spot?

"Come outside."

You got up off the couch and opened a window. There he was- astride a tall handsome horse- Peter Parker.

You leapt out the window of the apartment onto the abnormally green grass and you ran towards him, the biggest smile plastered onto your face. You reached him and he slid off the horse. His arms wrapped you into an embrace and the moment came.

"I love y-"

BEEP BEEP BEEP

You cursed as your eyes flew open and you sat up. Your alarm was going off.

SLAM

You hit the snooze bar in annoyance. It had been a dream. Peter would never apologize before you did. You had been the one to accuse him of making a mistake. And yet, you never could find the courage to go up and apologize. You were too afraid he would laugh at you. Or worse, ignore you and act like he had never met you.

You were not about to go through that.

Your alarm blared again and you figured it was a good time to get up and start your day.

~~~

Geography, algebra, then biology and finally lunch. You were exhausted. Flash Thompson had unzipped your backpack after biology and all of your books and papers had spilled out in the middle of the hallway. It had been humiliating, and there was no Peter this time to help you out.

The yogurt you were eating for lunch was too sweet and the chips you had bought on the side were salty and stale, so you took to drinking the rest of your water.

Then a large kid sat down opposite you.

"Oh sorry, I didn't think anyone used this table during C lunch." You grabbed your things.

"Hey, hey, wait. No, this isn't my table." You looked up and saw the face of a kid you had seen around but never met. He looked nice enough. "Well I did use to sit here with Peter before Michelle happened, but that's besides the point."

Your ears simultaneously perked up and throbbed at the sound of the name 'Peter.'

The boy continued. "Peter's too much of a wuss to come do this without someone forcing him to, so I thought I should take initiative."

"For once." You heard a begrudging voice from behind you.

You didn't dare turn to see who it was.

"___... I'm really, really sorry..." Peter's voice sounded soft and embarrassed. "I was really angry at the time, and wasn't thinking straight. I haven't had the nerve to come back and say that till now. And I probably wouldn't have if someone hadn't just forced me to."

You saw the boy in front of you wink comically.

"Not that I didn't want to apologize- I've wanted to do that since the moment you walked away at that crosswalk. I just..." Peter trailed off.

Your shoulders sagged. "I'm sorry too. It was never my place to judge your choices. I won't do it again." You waited for... anything.

A weight in the seat next to you told you Peter had just sat down. "So uh, now that I assume we're on okay terms... do you wanna come to our Star Wars movie night at my house tonight?" He tapped the table anxiously.

You were taken aback. "Oh uh, yeah, sure." You nervously spooned some more yogurt into your mouth. You instantly regretted it.

"Well okay...." Peter looked up at the other boy who was trying to tell him something with his eyes. "Oh! Uh, ___, this is Ned. He's my best friend."

Ned reached over the table and shook your hand with a smile. "It's nice to finally meet you ___. Peter told me all about you. I had to drag him over here to apologize, and even still I was going to do it for him if he hadn't shown up behind you." Ned looked serious as he stole one of your overly salted chips.

You nodded with a slight smile. "Okay..."

~~~

The movie night was a huge party. Granted, there were only three of you there, but it was wild. Popcorn fights, midnight buttery toast toasts, and something called Frog Juice, ("It's my mother's recipe." "That's nice May..." You laughed while Peter's cheeks went red.) You were very glad you went.

Especially since Michelle had not been there.

"Hey, where's Michelle?" You asked halfway through The Empire Strikes Back.

"Oh..." Peter tore his eyes from the screen. "We uh, we broke up."

You choked on a popcorn kernel. "What now?"

Peter nodded. "She actually is the one who did it. Not complaining though... the last two months with her weren't all that fancy."

You didn't invite Peter to elaborate.

Needless to say, you had a wonderful night.

You wrote in your journal on the train ride home.

"Maybe dreams do come true?" You signed off with your signature ominous question and then titled the entry; We Can Mend.