8 | Crazy

Ned had to drag you outside the hotel with the rest of the fleeing occupants because you refused to accept reality.

Peter was your soulmate, and he was about to die.

"Ned!" You screamed. "Ned! Stop!"

Everything seemed blurry and in slow motion. Someone seemed to have plugged your ears with wax because you heard only sluggish yelling and eerie ringing.

Ned proceeded to pull you outside even through your tantrum of screaming and aiming punches at his face.

"___!" He yelled, you vaguely heard him through your woolen wall of sound barrier. "Peter said keep you safe!"

"Ned!" Everything was still too slow. "Peter is Spider-Man!"

Ned did not seem to care about this discovery. He only continued to pull you out of the hotel and throw you down onto the warm grass, away from the danger.

As he held you down, safe from harm, your head cleared and your senses opened up again.

Screams echoed into the night and a sudden wall of ashen smoke hit your nose in full force. Time sped up and your head throbbed from the sudden pop back into reality.

"Ned- Peter is-"

"I know!" He shouted as half of the building exploded into flames. "I found out about it a long time ago!"

"Then we have to go after him!" You cried over the massive crash of rubble falling from the buildings surrounding your small patch of grass.

Ned shook his head. "My job is to keep you safe. I was the guy in the chair, and now I'm his assistant. You are my mission, you are to be kept safe and out of harm.

You cursed and stopped resisting Ned's grip. He let you up.

Everything around you was on fire. Buildings were burning, trees were scorched, and cars were in flames.

You watched and felt the heat of the fires blow around the center of the city.

"Ned, we have to leave."

"___, I told you, we're staying here, I have to keep you saf-"

"Ned, we have to go, now!" You grabbed his arm and pulled.

"___ no! We have to-"

"It's gonna fall!" You screamed and pointed above to a tall building to your left. The entire top was on fire and as you watched, the building swayed.

Ned looked at you, terror in his eyes. "New plan! RUN!"

Chaos began as the building toppled to the ground. You and Ned screamed as fiery debris rained down all around. Sparks singed your arms and neck while sirens blared in the distance.

The building's collapse tore your hand from Ned's and you were knocked to the ground.

"___!" You saw him scream, but the roar of the falling building was so loud you couldn't hear him.

You struggled to get up and find Ned again but another explosion tore at your exposed skin and you cried out in pain. The heat was too much, you wanted to run, to flee; your skin seemed to be withering at the contact of flame.

Screaming and crying freely, you pushed yourself onto one knee and shielded your eyes with the palm of your hand. The light of the fire was so bright you could barely see.

"Peter!" You yelled and stretched it out so long your throat tore and the inside felt raw and dry.

You heaved and dropped to your hands and knees again, too exhausted to continue fighting.

"Just let me die then..." You whimpered.

Lowering yourself down to your elbows, you coughed through the black smoke that stung your eyes and clouded your lungs.

Just as you were about to abandon all hope, just as you fell face first into the charred grass, a hand grabbed your shoulder.

It roughly turned you over and the silhouette of a man stood above you.

Your last thought before passing out was "Peter!"

And then everything turned to darkness.