4 | Pain

"Yeah so I've just been using May's bag all weekend." Peter laughed through the phone.

You smirked. "And how's that going to work when school picks up on Monday? You gonna tug around a big red purse to put your books in?"

You heard Peter laugh. "Nah. May says we can go get another backpack Sunday evening. But it's gotta come from my allowance this time. This is like the fifth one I've lost."

You once again wondered how in the world someone could misplace that many backpacks of all things.

"Well you better choose a good one. Nothing crazy or loud. Like purple or green. You need like a dark blue or brown one. Those are nice."

Peter laughed again. "Since when did you become the queen of backpack colors?"

"Um, since like, forever ago." You sassed.

Peter laughed. "Well guess what. I'm not gonna tell you what color I get."

"You're not?"

"Nope. I'm just gonna show up to school with it and you will be surprised."

You rolled your eyes and giggled. "Okay, okay, I'm looking forward to it."

"Alright then."

"Peter!" You heard May call from the other end.

"Hey uh, I gotta go-"

"Okay, bye."

"Bye, see you at school."

Peter hung up.

You sighed. It was amazing how much talking about backpack colors could make your day.

~~~

School was just as early as it always was Monday morning, but you were excited. It was really nothing, but Peter had bought his new backpack and was refusing to tell you what color it was. Even Ned knew! How could Peter ever expect Ned of all people to keep a secret for him?

You walked into the school with your own backpack slung over your shoulder. As you made your way to your locker to grab your books for Spanish, you almost tripped over something.

As you caught yourself, you turned around to apologize only to see Flash standing there, a wide grin on his face. All of his friends were laughing.

"Oh I'm sorry," He sneered. "Does Peter's new girlfriend not have the balance of a princess? Because he's going down into a rebound if that's the case."

From behind Flash came a tall intimidating girl. At first glance she was beautiful. But then you realized who she was.

"Michelle-" You stammered. "What're you-"

Michelle stood next to Flash and he put his arm around her waist.

For a split second you wanted to vomit.

"Michelle has realized what a great guy I am, and how much of a loser Peter Parker is by comparison." He sleazed. "Michelle here, has very good taste. You're such a good girl breaking Parker's heart aren't you?" He leaned in and kissed her.

You made a disgusted face and backed away.

"You can run ___, but you can't hide!" Michelle called after you.

You rounded the corner unsure of how you felt. Peter was around here somewhere right?

Your locker was just down the hall. Maybe Peter would meet you there.

As you got within sight of your cubby, you frowned. Peter wasn't anywhere in sight.

"Oh well," You said as you turned the lock.