12

Vicky was right. I had to get a grip and be a mature 'adult'. Zack was clearly out of my reach. Being my teacher was one issue, but one I could deal with. Being a married man was entirely different. It created a broken bridge between us. One that I knew, deep down, he wouldn't want to jump. They never did. I'd seen enough movies to know that married men always chose the life they felt more secure with, more comfortable. Besides, who was I to break up a happy marriage. Just a girl who met a man in a bar. I was nothing special. Or so I felt, until Zack walked into my life like an explosion of stars.

Today I'd decided to wear something a little more...subtle. With a flowing white, strappy dress, flats and my hair up into a messy bun. I felt pretty but all woman. My backpack hung lazily down my back, filled with notes and books for the day. Trish was waiting for me in the cafeteria. Sipping a mocha and texting on her phone as I approached. As I sat down she looks up and smiles. Obviously, loving my outfit as she eyes me up. I roll my eyes, kidnapping her mocha to take a little sip.
"Ooh, la,la." She grins taking her cup back. "Look at you!"

I blush. Giggling, as I take out my black, hipster style glasses and slide them on. Laughing, she squeals excitedly. Clapping her hands together as I do a vogue pose for her amusement. "Perfect! You look gorgeous."
Today was the day of the book festival. Business and writers from all over town gathering on campus to celebrate the written word. Trish had texted me the night before, telling me to wear something cute. Trish, herself, sat in a violet dress down to her ankles. The toes of her beige wedges peeping out from under the fabric. Her long hair was tied up in a neat ponytail. Dangling over one shoulder as she spoke. "I'll be surprised if any man can keep their hands off you."

"Well, they can keep their mitts to themselves, I'm off limitd until further notice." I mumbled, crossing my arms and leaning against the table. Trish grins, nodding in approval. Then she takes my hand in hers and I frown. Suddenly, she looks upset. Looking down at my polished nails. "There's something you need to know..."

"Oh?"

"The teachers have been given permission to bring their families..."

"But, that means-"

"Yes, honey, I know." She grips my hand to comfort me. My heart racing. I suddenly felt sick to my stomach. If the teachers were bringing their families, that means Zack would also be bringing his. His wife would be here too.
Exhaling deeply, I try to relax. Giving Trish a little smile as I slide my hand from her grip. "Alright." Trish blinks, surprsied to see me so calm. "I suppose it would happen sooner or later."

The festival was in full swing when we arrived. Cubicles and stalls all over the green were busy hustling and making money for a good cause. All proceedings went to the local orphanage. Helping to feed, clothe and educate children. Trish had disappeared somewhere in the romance side of the stalls, so I took the chance to look through some comic books, horror novels and finally the classics. I was looking at a Jane Austin hardback version of Emma when I saw them. I'd heard him first. His gravelly tone flowing to my ears and kissing my eardrums. Flicking my eyes up I see him. Stood beside a very slim red head. Tall, slim and very beautiful. My insides knotted with jealousy. They looked like the perfect couple. Zack holding her hand while she wiped the foam from his coffee off his lip with her thumb. But his response captured my full attention. As her thumb caressed his lips he froze. She seemed to notice and blushed. Relessing his hand she moved away to talk to another woman. Professor Rawk, I think, the math teacher. A short, stout woman in her late forties. A pleasant enough woman, just a boring subject.

I'd forgot I was staring and soon enough Zack had turned and met my gaze. Blushing, I move my eyes back to the book in my hand. Turning it, pretending to examine every crease of it. I was about to put it back when a hand up my dress, gripped hold of my arse cheek and gave a hard squeeze. Making me yelp. Spinning, I yank my dress from Robbie's hands and slap him for the sheer audacity. He wasn't happy. His nostrils flared and his brown eyes darkened as he nursed his red, swollen cheek.
"The fuck Robbie!" I screech, moving away.

"You bitch! You hit me!" He growled. Straightening his leather jacket.

"You asked for it. Keep your hands off of me." I warn, backing away slowly. His tall, large form moving closer. Turning, I cross my arms and walk quickly away. Hoping someone had noticed the drama and come to my rescue. However, so far nobody had said a word. Quickly, I make my way into the empty building. Heading for the sanctuary of the library. As I turn the corner into the hallway that leads to the library, I pause. Hearing heavy footsteps behind me.
"Aaaaallllice." Robbie was hunting for me. "Come out, I just want to talk."

Moving my arse, I run for the library door. Knowing the heavy weight would keep him out. The footsteps got louder and louder. Peering over my shoulder, I scream as he grips hold of my hair and throws me against the wall. It all happened that fast I didn't process it until I was flat on my stomach on the floor at the base of the wall. Panting, I manage to get up onto all fours. My head swimming as I clutch my arm to my aching stomach. "Sweet Alice, so....innocent." He snarls, kicking me in the stomach. Crying out I fall back down. My cheek resting against the cold, tiled floor. Tears stream from my eyes as the agony shoots through my limbs. Forcing me up onto my knee's by my hair, he grips my chin hard in his hand. Squeezing gradually harder as his lips brush along mine. "I've waited so long for this. Ever since you said no to me." The grin that crossed his face sickened me. Filling me with a fearful dread. "No one say's no to me."