CHAPTER 4

"Jasmine, Jasmine!", Lief walked though the trees searching for her. He hadn't seen her since she ran out of the carriage. Of course he would have followed her, but Genevieve was persistent in keeping him by her side. "Jasmine were are you!" Once everything was set up, he made a silent oath to find her later, thus his searching.

Lief was worried about her. She wan't one to let the words of others affect her. Something else must have upset her. The question was, what was it? Since this morning, Lief hadn't had a proper conversation alone with her. He was so busy and Jasmine was never around, when he was free. It felt like she was avoiding him. Their friendship was slowly deteriorating, and he didn't know what to do. Jasmine had been one of his closest friends. Although they didn't see eye to eye most of the time, he sill cared for her, more that allowed.

"Jasmine!" Lief ran to the squatting figure at the edge of the river bed. "What re you doing here? You should be at the picnic."

"I'm fine. I should ask you the same thing, your Majesty." Jasmine said those to words with such disdain that it made Lief shudder. "What are you doing away from your party. Is it really that dull? " She stood up and turned to face him, eyes locked on his. "I thought as much."

"Jasmine, I came to look for you. I was worried." Lief cautiously stepped forward, weary of Jasmine's next move. "What's wrong? You're acting strange. Was it what Genevieve said? She didn't mean it, Jasmine. She doesn't know you like we do."

"That's just it Lief. You don't know me, and the saddest this is I don't know you." She turned to sit back down along the bed of twigs and debris, deposited by the river. " I thought I knew you, but you're so different from the boy I fell... the boy I knew."

"What do you mean, Jasmine. I'm no different just because I'm King." Lief went to sit beside her. He stretched his legs out, then went to play with the twigs on the ground. " if anyone has changed, it is you."

"Maybe you are right. Maybe this whole palace thing has changed me. I don't belong her. You know that as well as anybody."

" What are you saying?" lief turned to look at Jasmine's slouched form. She was right, nothing about her was 'ladylike'. But that was what he loved about her. She wasn't  bound to the patterns of society. She didn't have to pretend to be someone she wasn't. She was free, and for that Lief was jealous of her. "You can't go back to the forest. It is still dangerous."

"Oh come on Lief, don't be a fool. Of course, I'm not going back. Not yet anyway. You haven't given me a good enough reason to leave yet."

"Look Jasmine, no one thinks you're a witch. If this is about what Gen said, forget it. You are better than this Jasmine. When have you ever let what someone says get to you. What happened to the stubborn, strong willed hellion." Lief gave Jasmine a playful shove and plastered a smile on his face, to support his very much unwanted jest. However, Jasmine just stayed still, unmoving.

"I lost my spirit, Lief. I'm alone again." Jasmine looked into the water deep in thought.

"Nonsense. You have me, Barda, Sharn, Doom and don't forget Filly and Kree." Lief put his arm around Jasmines shoulders, so she could lean on his shoulder. "You're not alone. If all fails you have me." Jasmine just burst into laughter, which surprised Lief.

"You're joking. Filly and Kree have families, Barda if busy with Lindal and his job, I would never go to the useless activities and events that Sharn partakes in and Doom is never around."

"What about me, I'm here aren't I."

"Lief you're getting married.  Married! You shouldn't even be here. You should be with your future wife. Being seen would cause a scandal so great, they would be forced to banish me. Imagine, a witch and a king, friends. Being king takes up most of your time and once you're married, this," Jasmine said motioning between the two, "cannot go on any longer."

"You're not a witch. And I will make time for you-" Jasmine snorted which made Lief smile. She was back. " what I'm trying to say is that, you will find your own husband, and he will love you and take care of you. Soon you won't have time for me, and I will be the one complaining."

"I thought I had. It turns out I was wrong."

"Who was it?. Was it Dain?" Lief knew exactly who it was. He just didn't want to admit he returned her feelings. Doing so would make it harder to let her go. And it was already hard enough. When Jasmine looked up into his eyes with those beautiful forest green eyes, he let out and "oh" and slid his arm back to his side. She was right, this had to stop. "Jasmine-"

"I know, I know. You're engaged, blah, blah, blah." Lief gave a chuckle. He scooped up water in his hands and splashed Jasmine with it."

"Ahh! It's cold!" Jasmine scooped up some water and threw it back at him, which resulted in him getting drenched. "You deserved it." This went on for a while until Janine slipped and fell into the water. She struggled and wrestled but couldn't stay on top. Due to her imprisonment, in the palace, swimming lessons were scarce. She started to scream fo Lief. "Lief, help me!"

Without hesitation Lief held out his hand and told her to grab on. As she did, a smirk crossed her face and with a tug Lief stumbled into the water.

"Jasmine, I going to kill you! I have a picnic to go to."

"Oh shush up, you're late and wet, so you might as well not attend." They both scrambled up the muddy banks towards a dry patch of grass. Jasmine and Lief lay side by side looking up though the trees." Wasn't that fun. We have done anything like that in a while."

"I know. I'm sorry I've been to busy. I promise I'll make more time for us." Lief supported himself on his elbow and faced Jasmine.

"I'm counting on it." Jasmine closed her eyes and took in a deep breath, loving the cool breeze blowing her wet hair. When she opened her eyes, Lief was staring at her. "What?" His free hand went up to caress her face and brush the wet hair away.

"You're so beautiful."

"Lief..." Was all Jasmine could say, before, his lips were on hers.

Dun, dun, dunnn
What's going to happen next?