CHAPTER 8

Jasmine ran down the hall in search of Lief. Today was the day she and Lucian would go on their outing. After she had gotten ready, with the help of an unnecessary lady's maid, Lief had summoned her to meet in his study. Jasmine knew what was coming, it was simple. He was jealous. Lief was going to forbid her from going and declare his love for her. They would be married and live happily ever-

"Oh, my! I'm so sorry, I should be looking at where I'm going. Lucian!" As Jasmine focused on the man standing before her, she suddenly felt guilty for making him a pawn in her plan. "Lucian, I...I." Lost for words, Jasmine shamefully bowed her head.

"Jasmine, it's ok." Lucian gave a light chuckle, that made Jasmine blush. "Why all the sudden shyness, it's just me. I came to see if you were ready." Lucian put two fingers under Jasmine's chin and lifted it up. Her eyes were a mesmerising shade of emerald. Luciano could get lost in them. "Are you ready?"

"Yes! Of course! I was just on my way to see Lief." Lucian freezed at her words, uncertain of what the king could want with Jasmine. "He asked me to meet him in his study." Suddenly, an idea sprung into her mind. "However, he did say it wasn't important. I'm sure I can speak to him another time. Shall we go?" Jasmine turned and held out her hand. Lucian tucked it under his arm and they set of for the forest.

--

"Where is she? They are meant to be here by now!" Lief paced through the clearing in the forest. He had expected to bump into Jasmine and her company by now, alas they hadn't shown themselves. "Did they change their plans? I don't understand what could have gone wrong?"

"Lief!" Lief spun around to see Gen glaring at him. She sat on a blanket laying on a pillow. "What on earth are you mumbling about? Who were you expecting? I thought this was a private date... your Majesty." She quickly added.

"Forgive me, Gen, I was talking politics." He took his seat on the blanket and started organising the small meal the kitchen staff had prepared. "Now, where were we?" Gen was about to speak when voices could be heard echoing though the woods.

"Stop! Please! I said stop!" A series of male laughter followed the lady's cry for help.

"What on earth!" Lief stood up abruptly scanning the trees for the voices. "Gen, did you hear that?"

"Yes, is it safe? Oh, Lief, protect me?" Lief rolled his eyes at the display before him. Another cry for help echoed through the trees, followed by a large splash. Forgetting everything, Lief ran towards the sound, hoping and faint all odds, that this damsel was ok. Upon reaching the gushing waterfall and spring, he saw two bodies in the water tangled in each other's arms. Lief was about to dismiss the situation when he realised the male was Lucian. We has about to laugh at this mans foolishness, prancing about with another woman who wasn't Jasmine, when the woman turned around.

"WHAT IN THE NAME OF ADIN, IS GOING ON HERE!?" Jasmine and Lucian stopped kissing and turned to face the intruder. Jasmine gasped and Lucian shamefully bowed his head.

"Lief, please tell me we have finished this foolish game of chase me. Really, how do you expect me to run in this monstrosity. Oh my!" Geniveve scanned the scene, only to stop on her cousin's soaked appearance. "Lucian, what in havens name are you up to? You should see the look on your faces, they're priceless." Gen let out a laugh, that was quickly silence by Lief's murderous glare.

"GET OUT, BOTH OF YOU!" lief ordered them. Lucian started to ascend out of the water, with Jasmine following closely with the help of him. Once they were out Lucian pulled Jasmine close to her, grapped his riding cloak from a nearby tree and flung it over Jasmine.

"King Lief, I'm terribly sorry you had to witness this. We were not aware you and Gen would be in the same place." Lief took a few breaths to calm himself down. How dare he kiss her! Who did he think he was? "I appologise, I'm so sorry I got you into this."

"Enough of your apologies, I don't need them."

"If you pardon my rudeness, but I wasn't talking to you." Wide eyed, Lief and Gen stared at this man who dared to speak against the king. Lucian took Jasmine's hands in his. "Will you forgive me. I didn't mean for any of this to happen."

"Lucian it's fine, I enjoyed myself. In fact this is the most fun I've had in ages."

"You enjoyed it." Lucian smiles brightened. He looked into her emerald eyes. "Did you enjoy... all of it." Understanding his implication, Jasmine blushed and bit her lip. She nodded and hugged him, whispering a thank you.

"Ahem!" Lief coughed to make sure neither of the perpetrators forgot he and Gen were standing right there, wanting this display of sickening affection.

"You Majesty, this is all a big misunderstanding." Jasmine stepped forward to address Lief, but was interrupted by his hand.

"Didn't I summon you to my study before you had left. Why did you defy me and run off to the forest to throw yourself on this man like some wanton woman." His anger apparently hadn't subsided enough, for his words were harsh and unnecessary. Jasmine appeared like she was going to rebut his words, but was interrupted by Lucian when he stepped in front of her to shield her.

"What kind of king disrespects women. It was my fault she didn't meet you, so take it out on me. Who do you think you are to insult Jasmine when she has done nothing wrong? How dare you talk to her like that. If that's the king of treatment she is getting her maybe you don't deserve her presence. You know I liked you until know. There is no way my cousin is staying in this hell hole." Luciano turned to Jasmine. "Let's go." They walked into the woods out of sight.

How dare he talk to me like that. Why didn't Jasmine do anything? If I know anything about her, she hates feeling weak. Why is this so confusing?