CHAPTER 14

Bright and early the next morning, Lief and his team left the castle packed and fed. They head down the road headed toward the Forest Of Silence. Lief chose to take a detour and not go to the forge. If this is what Jasmine wanted so be it.

Lief was awoken from his thoughts by the sound of Lucian calling his name. "Lief. Lief. Wake up from whatever daze you're in, we need to change directions."

"Why?" Lief stops in his tracks.

"We need to go to the forge."

"No, we don't." Lief keeps moving. Lucian grabs Lief's shoulder and jerks him back.

"Yes we do."

"For what reason?"

"Jasmine wants to come with us." Jasmine. So many thoughts race through Lief's mind at the mention of her name. None of which he refuses to acknowledge for more than a second.

"Why does she want to come?"

"It's her home Lief and you know as well as I do that Jasmine wouldn't miss out on an adventure."

"No. I know better than you that Jasmine wouldn't miss out on dangerous mission." Lief turns and keeps walking. "She can meet us at our next stop."

"I thought you would want to see her?" Lucian fell behind Lief, running to catch up to him. When he does, they walk step in step. Lief rolls his eyes, and quickens his pace, but Lucian matches his speed.

"I know what your trying to do."

"I don't care."

"Why are you fighting this."

"Look, Lucian, the only reason why you want to stop at the forge is so that you can see your little girlfriend. My men have a mission, and stopping will derail that."

"Are you jealous Lief?" Lief closed his eyes to calm himself down. If he said one more word, he shouldn't be held responsible for what happened next.

"Lucian, right now my mens well being is my top priority. As for you-" Lief turns to face him. "- you don't need to be here. You can either pipe down or go back to the castle where you belong. I will not put an innocent person at risk because you want someone to baby you. I urge you to remember whose in charge here. I also urge you to remember who is the one with a defenseless kingdom. So the next time you open that mouth of yours, you may not have a kingdom to go back to. Do I make myself clear."

Lucian's mouth drops, stunned into silence. "I...yes your Majesty."

"Good, now leave me alone." Lucian fell back quickly. The rest of the morning and afternoon, is spent walking in silence.

They reach the forest of silence around mid-evening. Lief ordered his men to set up camp around the border. He strictly instructed them not to go into the woods under any circumstances, only if instructed by himself.

After the camp wss set up, Lief instructed the men to stay while he went to do surveillance.

"But Sire, you should take some men with you, in case you come across some ols." One of the guards suggested.

"Seth, I won't be long. I'll be fine."

"He's right Lief. You are the king and we can't risk you getting hurt or worse." Lucian stepped forward and patted Seth on the back. " it's alright, I'll go with him."

"No you will not. I said I'll be fine." Lief scowls in Lucian's direction. Lucian gives a smug smile back. Seth looked between the two, and slowly backed away.

Lief turned and marched into the forest, with Lucian tailing him.

"What do you want?"

"You're not the only one who wants to see Jasmine." Lief stops in his tracks.