CHAPTER 15

Lief awoke to loud noises outside his tent. He heard men yelling orders and equipment being moved from one place to the other. What on earth are they doing? Lief jumped out of bed and put his clothes on. Before he finished tying this last bootlace, Lucian burst in with a broad smile on his face.

"I have some good news and some bad news. Which one would you like to here first?"

"It depends. Is it relevant to me?" Lucian mocked hurt, and waltzed over to his bed.

"It's relevant enough." Lief gave Lucian an irritated look.

"Fine. What is it." Lief grabbed his sword, made sure he had the belt and walked out into the camp. The campsite was bustling with activity. Some men were checking equipment, while others were taking down the tents.

"What time is it?" Lief turned to face Lucian, who had just come out.

"Midday... Sire. I didn't want to wake you."

"Sure you didn't. So... what's the news?"

"Good or bad?"

"Good."

"We found Jasmine." Lief stopped in his tracks. How could he have been so foolish. He forgot about Jasmine and wasted a whole day sleeping.

"What's the bad news?" Lief was afraid to ask. What if something had happened to her?

"Umm... she's trapped in a tree." What? Lief turned, once again, to face Lucian.

"Please explain."

"Well it seems as if tree roots have made a cocoon around her." This was new.

"Why hasn't she tried to break out."

"She's unconscious."

"Well, why are we still here. Take me to her." Lief took a few stepped before he was stopped by Lucian's hand on his shoulder.

"We can't. The trees stop us." Rolling his eyes. Lief jerked Lucian's hand off him and started striding forward. What rubbish was he talking about? Lucian huffed in irritation and followed Lief so he can lead the way.

"Why didn't you wake me? Something could have happened to you and I wouldn't have known."

"Lief, I realize you felt that way." Lucian winked in Lief's direction. This earned a glare from Lief.

After a few minutes, they arrived at their destination. "So where is she?" Lief looked around. He could only see trees... and well more trees. There was a large log in the corner, huddled between to large trees and some littering the ground. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

"Over there." Lucian pointed to the log looking thing. In three quick strides, Lief reached the log and peered into what could only be described as an air hole. It was big enough to allow oxygen in, but to small for animals to burrow through.

"I can't see anything."

"I was going to tell you, but I thought since you're impulsive you wouldn't care. Here, I brought this." Lucian handed him a small glow stick. Lief shook it until it became bright enough for him to see inside. What he saw frightened him, but also filled him with relief. She was safe. Jasmine's eyes were closed, but he knew she was still alive. She had to be.

"What did you mean by, 'the trees won't allow me?"

"Don't touch it, whatever it is."

"They are protecting her. But why?"

"Do you remember the tracks we saw yesterday?"

"Yes."

"Well, something was attacking her and the trees came to her rescue."

"Did they knock her out?"

"The trees?"

"No you fool, the thing that was chasing her?" Lief stood up and started searching the place. "How did this happen, trees don't just move by themselves. Some kind of magic or sorcery must be involved."

"Who do you think it was?"

"I don't know. Seeing as the trees protected her instead of hurt her, it must have been someone who wanted Jasmine safe."

"What about Jasmine herself?"

"She doesn't have powers."

"But you said she can talk to trees." Lief stopped in his tracks. Lucian did have a point. He had never seen Jasmine command trees to do anything, only talk to them. But what was chasing her? And how did she talk to them if she was unconscious at the time, if she did at all? Something didn't add up.

"We need to go back, Lucian." Lief turns to start leaving.

"What about Jasmine?"

"The trees will protect her. I'm not abandoning her. We can't do anything, you said so yourself. We will come back when we know what we are dealing with."

"And what if, it comes back."

"It won't."

"What if-" Lief pivots back to face Lucian, irritation etched on his face.

"Why don't you stay here and guard her then. I'm sure you would be much more help than whatever the trees are doing. You would just get in their way. Either come with me or stay here. It's not up for a discussion. I care as much as you do, more in fact. So stop acting like you know what's best for her, because you don't." Lief storms away, leaving a stunned Lucian behind. Shaking himself out of his confused stupor, Lucian runs to Join Lief.

I won't be posting as regularly as I should, because it's exam period. So bare with me.