CHAPTER 7

Nothing Lief could have done, would have prepared him for this. Jasmine and Lucian, Lucian and Jasmine. Those two would not stop gawking at each other. Every time someone spoke to Lucian, he would respond with a one worded answer then return his gaze to Jasmine, who was surely doing the same. No one could get more than two words out of the fools, without them looking back at each other. What did Jasmine see in him, anyway. It was ridiculous, neither one of them had said anything to the other either, what were they waiting for, an invitation? Lucian, probably, but Jasmine take to anyone she wanted to, without a thought of regret.

"Lucian, I was wondering if we could discuss the marriage arrangement." Lief deterred his attention once again from Jasmine. This time he, surprisingly, was looking at him.

"Yes, of course I agree. Now tell me about Lady Jasmine. Is she taken? Who are her parents? What must I do to make her mine?" Anger boiled in Lief, who was he to think he could claim Jasmine like that. The idea made Lief smile. Jasmine would never fall for just anyone. You required a previous friendship with Jasmine, before she could fully trust you.

"Jasmine is a dear friend of mine. She has gone through many hardships. Now I would appreciate it if your focus was back on the important topic."

"Is she engaged? Surely a woman like that must have hundreds of offers. Tell me Lief, tell me everything about her."

"Why don't you just ask her yourself. You guys have been staring at each other since you met, and not one word had passed between the two of you."

"Well, that is because I'm afraid she doesn't like me. She has been staring at me like I'm cattle ready for inspection. Not with affection at all." Lucian turned so his body was completely facing Lief. "What am I to do?"

"Jasmine is the sort of girl that is often reserved and quiet. She is very shy and doesn't like to talk to strangers." Yes, all of these were lies, but the more false information he fed him, Lucian would further drift from jasmine.

To his dismay, Jasmine was walking towards them. She took a seat opposite them and put a smile on her face. "Good afternoon gentlemen, you wouldn't mind if I joined you, would you. The question was more of a statement.

Lucian hurriedly replied, "no of course not. We weren't talking about anything of importance." Lief gave an incredulous sigh, irritated at the sudden interruption.

"Of course not, we we just discussing the marriage arrangements."

"Oh good, so nothing important." Jasmine's snark reply made Lief glare at her. Her smirk irked him even more. "My Grace, I was hoping to get better acquainted with you. It is my hope that you will find your stay pleasant and agree to the marriage."

"Yes, of course. It would be my pleasure." Lucian turned to Lief and gave him an apologetic smile. "I'm afraid our discussion is cut short. Would you make way for Lady Jasmine." As Lief rose, he gave a discreet grunt, which made Jasmine smirk.

"Why thank you Your Majesty. I'm so sorry for the inconvenience." Jasmine bumped Lief's shoulder as they passed, which made him stumble into his seat. What was her problem?

"Ah, Jasmine tell me about yourself." Lucian turned to face Jasmine as she sat beside him. The conversation bored Lief. He sat looking at the disturbing scene in front of him. They were talking like they were old friends. Looking around the room, Lief tried to spot Barda. He saw him taking to two men on the far right away from the main cluster of people. Perfect. Lief rose and excused himself, not sure if Lucian or Jasmine heard or cared. Out of the corner of his eye Jasmine glanced his way then quickly turned back. He stomped down the room to Barda. Once the men left, Barda turned his attention to an irritable Lief.

"What's wrong with you? Cat got your tongue." Barda sat next to Lief, picking up a glass of
brandy.

"What does she see in him. Jasmine has never been interested in potentially... well any guy. What is so different about Lucian? And do you know another thing, Lucian hasn't uttered a word about the marriage contract. He came for that reason. I don't see why a girl would stop that. A girl who has no interest in him, mind you."

"She looks pretty interested in him to me." Barda and Lief continued watching the odd pair.

"Why would Jasmine be interested in him? She has known him for less than a day, yet she cannot stop looking at him."

"Why does it matter Lief. You are engaged to a beautiful princess. You are living the dream. What more could you want? Are you so selfish that you will not stand for Jasmine to find happiness as well. You're better than that. You have Genevieve."

"But she's not Jasmine." Lief muttered under his breath.

"True, she isn't Jasmine. But I recall a certain young boy, claiming that he hand no attachment towards Jasmine, except friendship. Do you take back your claim."

"No of course not, we can ever only be friends."

"Why is that Leif. Why can you only be friend?"

"I don't know, she is a commoner. I don't know. Don't ask such ridiculous questions."

"You, yourself, don't know why you can't marry her. There's nothing in your way. You are both stubborn, that's it." Barda sipped his brandy and put it back on the bench. "Is that all your ranting done."

" It doesn't make sense. How can she be fine after our argument. She move on so quickly."

"So did you. If you ask me. It seems your trying to make each other jealous. Stop wasting people"s time and just get married already. To be honest, your wedding preparations to Jasmine have been prepared since your return from the Shadowlands. If-"

"That's it Barda, she is trying to make me jealous. Of course. She wouldn't show any interest in that fool, if he was holding her at knife point." Lief stood up abruptly, causing the pitcher of water to spill on him. He cursed under his breath and looked around the room to see if anyone noticed. No one seemed to have seen anything, but when his grace settled on Jasmine, she had a smirk on her face which cause his suspicion to elevate. How had she done it, again? Two could play at this game. With long strides a lief left the room, in search of his fiancé.