Chapter 15.

“Tom-san.”

“What is it, Shizuo?”

“What day is it today?”

Tom thought it would be a wonderful day. He genuinely believed that there could be no wrongs to it, but he noticed a terrifying expression upon the blond’s features. Looking ahead, he spotted a figure from afar as he recognized it without having to squint. His walk was still as strange as ever, but it was apparent that he was trying his hardest to walk as normally as he can – to attract less attention? Most likely.

“Shizuo, maybe you should calm down.” Tom remembered it clearly. Even if Shizuo may have forgotten, he remembered the way he had walked out of that hospital, stumbling onto the street when he had lost his balance. The older man recalled watching Shizuo glancing over his shoulder to look at the young man who was obviously infected by a disease no one deserved. Although he didn’t know what exactly had caused him to become that way, he felt that it was best to leave him be. It’s not like he could do anything with a body like that. 

Many would say that he deserved it for the bad deeds he had committed, but not even a criminal deserved something like that. Nothing was more unbearable than death by a disease that slowly took away every part of you.

He watched as the taller man removed his sunglasses, reaching to grab a hold of the garbage bin that was sitting by a tree after doing so. Tom’s hand met with his face as he sighed heavily. He knew that there were no words that could get through to him at this point.

“I’ll be back.”

“Yeah, all right. I’ll meet you at the place.”

“Thanks.”

As Shizuo ran towards his target, Tom gave the blond a half-hearted glance before leaving, shaking his head, a sigh leaving those lips again.

- -

During his last doctor’s appointment, he had acquired weights to strap around his ankles. It made walking a lot more easier and it felt less of a burden to keep his balance in check. Walking was starting to become enjoyable although he admittedly missed parkour. He knew the weights could do so much for him – parkour will just be a distant memory of feeling the fresh air pressing against his face, feeling his limbs dance around in intricate patterns that kept him from meeting death down below.

Izaya began to wonder what his next appointment will consist of. More check-ups, he’d assume. Maybe he can ask a few questions while he’s there. One of those questions will include transferring him to a different hospital. He was aware of the rumors that circulated whenever he set foot within the city grounds. Those rumors were the reason why he had gotten beaten up last month. Luckily, those enemies of his didn’t bother to take his wallet. The doctor had asked what had happened when he was called to his office. Izaya merely smiled and told him that they should go on with the monthly check-up. 

He wasn’t afraid of the consequences, but he didn’t want to go through them, especially with this body that didn’t follow his commands. It was safer in Shinjuku, the quiet part of the city where no one will harass him, where no one will know of his name and face and call him out for being such a “bad person”. Izaya smiled bitterly as he quietly approached the hospital.

“Izaya!”

Turning his head, he knew right away that it was a mistake for him to do so. 

The garbage bin collided against the side of his head as he hit the ground harshly.

Figures he’d run into him when he hasn’t seen the man in such a long time. 

Izaya slowly sat up as he tried to shake himself awake. This was no time to pass out in the middle of the street where he’d be an easy victim to steal from. He tried to steady his breathing as he felt the debt collector’s shadow hover over him. Although he wasn’t paying attention to the words Shizuo was blurting out, he knew that it was something illogical. Maybe it consisted of how he shouldn’t be here because Ikebukuro was suddenly his property. Right now, he didn’t care. Shizuo was a healthy man. Nothing could hurt him physically. Only a rare number of things, but that’s about it. Izaya? He was stuck with this destructible body that is falling apart with every passing day.

Did he ask for this? No. Of course not.

Did he deserve this? He wasn’t sure anymore.