Chapter 2

You took a deep breath as you ran after the boy, but found yourself in pitch black the second you turned a corner. You swore under your breath and slowed to a walking pace, eyes burning at the sudden change in lighting. You heard a soft thud. Probably another contestant, but you weren't gonna risk it. You walked in the direction of the boy, following his soft, quiet footsteps.

Suddenly the boy went silent. You froze. You'd never been good at mazes. Without the boy you didn't stand a chance.

Then the sky lit up in a cacophony of colours. You looked up, eyes slowly adjusting to the brightness. Your face, along with the faces of six other contestants were displayed high above the maze. Only seven of you left? That was depressing. Still, you couldn't help but roll your eyes.

"A Hunger Games reference, really?" you muttered, shaking your head lightly.

"Shut up! It's a great franchise!" A girl around your age leapt out in front of, though you could've sworn there was nothing there before.

You quickly ducked out of the way, swaying on your feet, and turned to look at the girl. The girl, if you could even call her that, was hunched over hissing and growling. In her right hand she clutched a sharp pencil. The lights from the projections bounced off the many pins she had on her hoodie. An hour ago you wouldn't have dared mess with her. But now, what did you have to lose?

You smirked. "The movies sucked, the books were better."

The girl launched at you with a scream but you kicked out, sending her flying backwards. Before she had time to get her bearings you strode over and stepped on her wrist. She struggled and hissed scratching you with her free hand. You plucked the pencil from her hand and twisted your foot. She cried out and you leaned over her holding the pencil tightly.

"May the odds be ever in your favour." You said as you plunged the pencil into the girls forehead. Her body slowly sunk into the dirt, until she was gone.

You stood up, breathing deeply. That was the most exercise you'd done in months. You rolled your shoulders, feeling much more relaxed. Who knew murder was such great stress relief.

You looked back at the sky, surprised to see one person missing. Only six left? You didn't know how many old gods there used to be, but you were sure there were more than six.

You continued on through the maze, fists clenched in case of another attack. What was that you read on Tumblr? Thumb outside the fist?

A loud growl snapped you out of your thoughts. You held your breath, waiting. Another growl, closer this time. And another, even closer. There was something coming your way and you did not like the sound of it, not one bit. In a split second decision you jumped into the nearest hedge, wincing as the branches dug into your skin and cut at your bare arms and legs. Curse the warm weather. You waited as the growling came closer an eventually farther from you hiding place.

You waited until the growling grew silent, until slowly peeking out, Seeing that the coast was clear you hurried along your not-so-merry way, avoiding any suspicious sounds.

After what seemed like hours but was probably only minutes you found the exit. You ran for it, collapsing at the other side. Your ankle hurt like a bitch and your heart was pounding. You looked up and saw that only three people stood in front of you. The boy, unsurprisingly, a guy older than you, probably out of college, and a buff woman who looked to be in her thirties. 'A lesbian', you thought.

You bolted up when you heard the scream. A girl was running towards the exit, bleeding heavily, a horror movie like guy barrelling after her. She was twenty at most and crying. There was no way she was going to make it, not at the rate she was going. You stood up and ran to the girl, ignoring the protests from behind. You strode into the maze as the girl fell out.

You stood tall, squaring your shoulders and clenching your fists as the horror guy raised his axe and yelled. The girl was sobbing loudly and you could hear your blood pumping in your ears. You raised your fist and shouted at the top of your lungs.

"Shut up!"

The rip-off horror movie villain stumbled back with the force of your punch. You'd never punched anyone before and your fist stung painfully. You turned around and walked slowly out of the maze.

What next?