Chapter 10 - Part 4

"What?"

Alwyn raised his hands. "Yee naaldlooshii – the skin-walker. An informant to the leader of the cabal, this creature takes the form of a coyote to get close to wherever it needs to and overhear information or see deeds and plans of action."

Eric curled his fists. "Son of a bitch, I knew it!"

"Your instincts were correct, Eric," Fflur said. "The skin-walker has been on top of everything you two have been doing, which is why they have always been a few steps ahead of you."

Eric was looking livid.

"This is why, when you ventured so close to the woods, we pooled our power together to – if you'll forgive the term – lure you in. We needed to intervene, to tell you what we know, so that you can fight this scourge better."

While Eric had been talking with the fairies, Cassie was scouting the surroundings. It must have been an eternity since human feet had trampled the grass around them. Either that or the fairies could move their home on a dime. On the branches of the trees and in the shrubs sat tiny furniture and tools. Turned up leaves doubled as coffee tables, and immature acorns had been sawed in half and hollowed out to be used as cups to drink from. Young birds flew from branch to branch but didn't disturb the fairies' belongings. The fairies and the birds and bugs of the woods lived in perfect harmony. Cassie couldn't explain it, but she felt a kinship with them, like their lifestyle was the natural order that the world needed and that she craved.

"What can we do?" she asked.

"That's more your specialty than ours," Cerys said, fluttering to above Cassie's shoulder.

"But we can give you a hint," Alwyn offered. "This part of the woods is enchanted. No evil can come here."

"Which means that for the first time," Fflur said, "the skin-walker doesn't know what you know or what you're doing."

"So we capture and interrogate him?" Eric said.

"It's a bit crude," Alwyn said, eyes looking at the ground, "but if you're going to learn about the evil in control, that is the only way."

"Crude or not, I'm right in my element," Eric said with a grin.

Cassie wanted to scold him for boasting of his vulgarity in present company, but she knew he was right, and she knew he was what was needed. Like the sheepdog that looks like a wolf, only his strength and aggression could bring peace to this beleaguered and godforsaken place. Thoughts of whether she measured up in this profession began to seep into Cassie's mind, but she shut them out quickly enough. There'd be time to think about that when the job was done.

"Well, I thank y'all for your hospitality," Eric said, clapping his hands together. "It's refreshing to have a lead that Cassie doesn't kill."

She shot daggers at him with her eyes.

"I jest, I jest," Eric reassured, playfully punching Cassie in the shoulder.

"Go now, then, brave warriors," Fflur said, "and may powers far greater than us watch over you."