Chapter 15 - Part 3

"I don't get it," Cassie said between bites of her sandwich. "So the monster chiefs gather in this abandoned hotel every Thursday night to discuss their... what, employee of the week winner?"

"I don't know, but I assume it's to coordinate their efforts."

"That's not even what perplexes me the most. So, like, they come here from somewhere else, right?"

"That's normally how travel works, yes."

"So why not have their meeting at the wherever 'somewhere else' they came from?"

"Maybe they like the ambiance."

"It is very recession chic, I suppose."

Eric let a chuckle escape him.

"I don't mean to question your work, partner, but truthfully, I don't like this."

"Is it because of the strange day we've been having?"

Now it was Cassie's turn to laugh. "'Strange' doesn't even begin to cover it. You know how sometimes you're at a casino and you're losing every hand? I think it's fair to take that as a sign that it's time to leave and fight another day, and we're in a not-too-dissimilar situation now, I reckon."

"Now, now, grasshopper, what have I told you about not being results-oriented? If you made the correct play with your hand and the numbers are on your side, it doesn't matter whether you lost or not. More than that, the laws of nature don't keep track of variance, so no amount of losses is a good predictor for future losses."

"Are you actually talking about cards right now? Did you really just take my analogy and tear it apart rather than focusing on the matter at hand? And besides, you're wrong anyway. If you lose, it may not matter on paper, but in the real world, a loss is a loss, and I don't think you need me to pull out a recent example to illustrate that point."

"Is that what this is about? Have you lost all faith in my planning due to that little... mishap?"

"Eric, I would march to hell and back with you, and you know that. I just won't do it if a racoon's run off with my flame-retardant shoes right before we leave. What do you say we just go back to one of our motel rooms and spend the rest of the evening relaxing? There are enough days on the calendar for us to come back to this another time."

"Can't do that. As long as they aren't resting, neither can we. Or should I say, neither can I?"

"Ah, the guilt trip – a classic."

"Not at all. I won't be offended if you want to bow out. In fact, if you remember back to that night at the bar, I didn't want you involved in this to begin with, so really, in going back, you'd be doing exactly what I suggested."

Cassie tilted her head. "Is this some sort of reverse psychology thing?"

"Would it be less or more of a reverse psychology thing if I told you it was or if I told you it wasn't?"

"The better question is whether it's become less or more of a reverse psychology thing now that you've answered that question with the question you did."

"So I take it you're staying then?"

"Yeah, fuck it. Let's do it."