Chapter 15 - Part 4

"Eric, I have to say, now that we're actually in position, I'm beginning to worry about this set-up." Cassie was hiding underneath the stage of the abandoned hotel's modest theater.

Up in the balcony, Eric couldn't see her, but he could hear her just fine over his earpiece. "What about it is bothering you? No monster will get close to you. I've got you covered with the rifle."

"That's actually what it is. The last time you were protecting someone from afar with your rifle... well, he sort of ended up... you know."

"This time's different. For starters, there's nowhere you could end up where I can't see you."

"Really? Can you see me now?"

"Well, no," Eric stuttered, "but you're in your hidey hole, so that doesn't count."

"And if I get attacked right at this minute?"

"Come on, that ain't going to happen. I told you, they come into the theater from the main entrance, and you know where that is?"

"Yes, right at the other side of the theater from where I am, but Eric, they managed to get the drop on me out in that industrial complex, and they managed to do so without the skin-walker alerting them to our arrival, so is it so inconceivable that the same thing happens here?"

"We don't know what happened out there. For all we know, it could have simply been bad luck. My information here is good."

"You're dead certain of that?"

"Yes, very much so."

"Because you've staked this place out and confirmed these meeting from a safe place but with your own eyes?"

Eric knew what she was getting at, but there was no point resisting. "This is the first Thursday since I got the information, so no."

"Eric, let's just pull out. I really, really don't like this."

"I don't think that's a good idea. Our targets are bound to arrive at any minute. Do you really want to meet them face-on in the hallway?"

"I don't want to meet them at all. I'm scared."

The candidness in Cassie's voice sent a chill down Eric's spine. Not unlike himself, Cassie was in the habit of hiding her dread and turning every terrifying moment into a joke. It was of no small significance that she was expressing her fear so explicitly. But at the same time...

"We're so close to ending this," he said. "Just soldier through this one night, and we can put Missouri County behind us forever. You can even retire from monster hunting completely. Shit, I might do the same."

"Now that's a development I never expected. Are you going to go back to prostituting yourself to lonely truckers at rest stops?"

"I'd certainly earn better doing that."

"Amen to that."

"But I don't know. Maybe I can start a private investigation business."

"No offense, partner, but with how long you've been off the grid, I doubt any state would give you a license for that."

"You need a license for that shit?"

"I mean, I suppose it varies by state but –" Cassie stalled mid-sentence.

"But what?"

"Hush. I heard something."