40

The race back to the cafe seemed like an undercover operation to the small group as they slid down alley ways and jumped from roof to roof. They could see doves on the grounds below running in the direction that they were coming from, shouting 'The report came from this way.' and 'Quick! Hurry!'.

"It's over here guys. Let's go through the back, it's probably safer."

Landing to the door before anyone else, Kaneki threw it open - almost off the hinges, pushing Rima inside first before ushering the others in after her. Once inside Kaneki made sure to lock and dead bolt the back door. It wouldn't exactly stop any doves from getting inside but it would give them enough time to get an upper hand.

As Bo finally let go of Ryo, she watched as Kanae was quick to jump off Nishiki's back and make way towards Tsukiyama as he set Choutaru down on a couch.

"Move out of the way! Let me see him!"Kanae shouted, pushing aside Tsukiyama as she knelt next to her brother. She didn't even care that she was ordering around a ghoul that could kill her in a heartbeat. All she cared about was her brother."His breathing gotten even more shallow! We need to get him to a hospital!"

"We can't take him to a hospital."Nishiki disagreed.

Kanae whipped her head around to glare at him, tears beginning to build up as she realised she was going to lose her brother for real."What do you mean we can't take him to the hospital?"She tried to put as much authority into her voice as she could to sound threatening, but her voice cracked almost instantly.

Nishiki breathed heavily out of his nose, trying to responded in a way that wouldn't cause Kanae to freak out anymore."I don't know if you guys know this but your faces have been plastered all around the city. Doves are looking for you everywhere. Do you really think they won't do anything when they see you guys in a hospital?"

His reason made kanae's shoulders slump."But he's going to die..."

Tsukiyama took off his mask and looked over to Kaneki."I'm sure Banjou could fix him up just like he did to that blonde dove."Rima's ears picked up at the mention of Banjou, and blonde dove, but she didn't say anything."We may get him there just in time. It's up to you, Kaneki-kun. Do you wish to risk going out there right now."

All eyes turned onto Kaneki, and Kanae stood up from off the floor. She pitifully made her way over to him tearfully, bowing her head.

"Please Kaneki.. you said you would save my brother - not for my sake, but for his... please don't let him die.."The tears she tried holding back fell as she realized her brothers life laid in the hands of a man that hated her.

"It's not safe for us to go out right now, Kaneki. You know by now doves are going to be crawling across the city looking for us."Nishiki tried to dissuade. He really didn't feel like being in the same room as a dead human, but he also didn't feel like dying by going out. He was still recovering from the fight with Eto.

"I don't know.."Kaneki finally spoke, his time low. He frowned when he heard Kanae choke back a sob.

"Kaneki-nii-san... we can't risk going."Bo agreed with Nishiki, knowing that carrying Choutaru would slow them down. It was a miracle they didn't get caught coming back to the cafe.

"Please Kaneki, please..."She held her hands together like she was praying for him.

This was tough. Both Tsukiyama and Nishiki were right. They could probably get Choutaru to Banjou in time to save his life, but would they even make it there. CCG Investigators were probably hiding around every corner, following Furuta's command to find and kill them.

Kaneki's eyes shifted over to Rima, seeing her eyes locked into Choutaru.

And then there's Rima. There was no way in hell he was going to put Rima's life back in danger. No way! And he wasn't going to leave her by herself again while he went and took Choutaru himself.