Chapter 3 ~ What am I doing?

Song: Maroon 5 - Animals

__________

...Arlo...

"Arlo, we need to talk." Dad comes storming in as I sat out the back, staring at the endless ocean.

"Not now Dad," I hissed.

"Yes now. We had a solid, smooth plan, why did you not fucken follow it?" I turned around, my deep greens instantly connecting to his.

"I have my reasons."

"Really? You're going to give me that bullshit?" His temper was beginning to flare up.

"Yes, I have my reasons."

"I'm not going anywhere Arlo until you tell me what the fuck, is going on?"

I swivelled around, leaning on the rail in front of me, my knuckles turned white from my tight grip. "I can't explain it," I finally exhaled.

He leans his backside on the railing beside me, "what do you mean you can't explain it?" Dad's tone now eerily calm, concern thick within his words. "Who is she?"

"I couldn't even tell you, Dad, I don't know who she is or her name. All I know is that the moment I saw her the day she walked past my car, time seemed to have frozen, she took my breath away... and then when I saw her at the club, my body came alive - like it was on fire. My mouth lost all hydration, my pulse thumped erratically but when he hit her... god, when he hit her, every instinct in me wanted to protect her, hold her, keep her safe, as if she were mine - is that crazy? I couldn't leave her there I just couldn't." Even I could hear the desperation in my voice.

His head dropped low, chin to chest as he closed his eyes. "I understand," he glanced up at me. "It was the same for me the very second I found your mother, I understand."

"It's insane, right? Right?" I folded my arms across my broad muscular chest.

"No son, where is she now?"

"I locked her in my bedroom." His eyes grew wide in horror, "I didn't know where else to put her but I didn't want her to run away, technically, she just cost me $350 thousand."

He chuckled, obviously I was a joke. "Oh lord son, she must be something in order for you to lose your mind like that."

"You should hear her sing." I almost purred my reply, realising my mistake, I cleared my throat. "I mean... she can sing."

By now, he was smiling at me like a damn Cheshire cat. "Well, what are you doing here? Why don't you get to know this amazing, singing woman that makes your heart pound and your mind blank?"

"I'm afraid she's going to leave," I bit the side of my cheek for my careless slip.

"You can't keep her locked up son..." he leaned over and threw his arm over my shoulder. "We now have confirmation of his offering the underage girls, we'll stick to the rest of the plan and you can decide what to do with her."

"Thanks, Dad, I'm sorry I screwed up," he smiled at me.

"Son, we all screw up, at least yours was done because you were following your heart. Now go will you, before she climbs out the damn window in an attempt to escape."

______

I was standing there with my hands either side of the doorway, breathing heavily. She had been in my room alone, for two hours. I contemplated what I was going to say, how I was going to apologise but honestly, my brain was so fried. I couldn't think straight. I was obsessed with the very fact she was in my room. Without another mindless reprimanding conversation within my head about every wrong action I had taken up to this point, I picked up the food I had prepared for her off the floor, held my breath and unlocked the door.