A new beginning?

They appeared outside the gates of Hogwarts, Sirius cradling the sleeping Harry in his arms. Remus sent a patronus up to the castle to alert Professor Dumbledore of their arrival. 

"This is so much worse than I ever imagined" Sirius whispered, his voice horse. "We should have killed Vernon Dursley" 

Remus shook is head "all we can do is try to help Harry now, god knows he needs it" 

A giant of a man approached the gates, his brown hair wild. He ushered the visitors inside before sealing the gates once more. He peered at the small boy wrapped in Sirius' arms and his black beetle-like eyes shone with tears. 

"I took him there! I left him there!" The man shook with great rattling sobs. 

"Hagrid! This isn't your fault okay?" Remus reasoned "Right now we have to get Harry up to the hospital wing" Hagrid nodded and slumped back towards his wooden hut, a large black dog trotting at his feet, as Remus and Sirius made their way up through the ever so familiar castle to the hospital wing. 

Madam Pomfrey and Albus Dumbledore were waiting for them as they arrived and rushed Harry onto the nearest bed, drawing the curtains around them, enclosing them all together. Sirius couldn't look at the Professor. He was the one to blame, he was the one who subjected Harry to this. He shook his head trying to push these thoughts from his mind. Harry was the priority now, they could sort out blame later. 

Lupin began to explain what happened at Privet Drive when they went to collect Harry as Madam Pomfrey started bussling around the hospital wing for potions and ointments. 

Dumbledore shook his head as he heard the state Harry was in. He had never meant for this. "I take it you left the Dursleys unharmed?" He made a sideways glance towards Sirius as he spoke.

"They are fine although Vernon Dursley might have a slight concussion" Remus replied lightly "courtesy of Arabella"  

Madam Pomfrey gently removed Harry's clothes, revealing the scars below. Both her and Dumbledore gasped in horror. "I know" Remus agreed and Sirius closed his eyes. He couldn't stand to see the damage on the young boys body again. He felt as though he could throw up. Madam Pomfrey surveyed him, moving her wand across his whole body. She then pointed at a sheet of blank parchment and transfered her wands information into writing. Tears stung the  corners of her eyes as she read aloud. 

"3rd degree burns covering the lower back and abdomen. 2nd degree burns found on both arms and legs as well as chest. 3 broken ribs, 1 fractured rib. A Patella fracture in the right knee and dislocation of the right wrist. Broken nose. Open wounds across his back and head and heavy bruising. 71.3% of skin shows scarring. Suffering from severe malnutrition."

By the time she had read the parchment, all 4 adults were in tears. "Oh poppy, how much can you do for him?" Dumbledore asked though his voice shook. 

"I can fix his ribs, nose, knee and wrist which will alleviate a lot of pain. I'll heal his fresh wounds and I can treat his burns and scars with a healing ointment. This will reduce discomfort and appearance of the scars but I will not be able to remove them all, some he will carry for the rest of his life. As for the malnourishment, I can give him potions and remedies to help him in the short term giving him the essential vitamins he has no doubt been deprived of, but the best remedy will be a good diet, combined with lots fresh air and sunlight." 

Albus and Remus nodded, silent tears rolling down their cheeks. Sirius merely swallowed. 

"I should also worn you that this much magical treatment on a child of this age, may leave its toll. Chances are he'll suffer from fatigue and in most cases, although I've never seen any child as bad as this, the child no longer displays any form of magic for a while. He will recover from this but it may take time and may take him longer to develop magically." With this, she began treating her patient.