Learning to trust

Remus woke from a deep sleep. He was still so tired, he didn't want to move, his bed was too comfy, the sheets to inviting. He rolled over burying  his head deeper into the pillow. 

Tap tap tap 

Remus groaned. He wearily opened his eyes and looked around for the source of the sound. Perched on the window ledge was a small stocky Brown Owl with  a white envelope clutched in its tiny beak. Irritated at being woken so early, Remus slumped to the window and let the bird in, ceasing the envelope. He recognised the familiar scrawl and red ink; 'dumbledore!'

He tore the letter open hurridly, praying the letter brought good news. 

Dear Remus and Sirius,

I hope you are well and that Harry is settling in nicely, please keep an eye on his mental and physical state. I am pleased to inform you that the Fedilius charm is in place, along with several other protective enchantments of which I do not wish to divulge by owl. I shall arrange a meeting to discuss this matter soon. 

This is a long and tiresome process that should be fully completed shortly. I ask that Harry remains in the house today as it is not yet safe outside, but by tomorrow you shall be free to come and go as you please. 

Keep me noted on any changes, 

Kind regards, 

Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore.

Remus let out a long slow sigh. Why the letter had to be sent to him at this god for saken hour was beyond him. He fed the small owl which then fluttered merrily out the window, disappearing into the light of the rising sun. And so he was awake. Cursing his old professor, he made his way downstairs and made a cup of tea. He rolled his eyes as he sat reading the morning  paper whilst listening to Sirius' on going snores. 

Hours later, Sirius had still not woke up. Remus made some breakfast waffles. Still the snores continued. Shaking his head, he proceeded to Harry's room so that at least someone could eat his waffles. 

Slowly, he pushed the door open and peered at the bed. The now empty bed. Remus' heart stopped as panic consumed him. Just before he was about to run for help, he spotted tiny feet protruding out from under the bed. He raised his eyebrows as he bent down. The poor boy was lying, shivering on the hard floor with no pillow or blanket. 

"Hey Harry" he said softly, rubbing the boys legs and shaking him gently. "Time to wake up kiddo it's breakfast time"

Harry stirred, rubbing his eyes. He let out a huge yawn. "Sorry I'll start making it now, what would you like?" He said as he crawled out from under the bed. 

"No Harry its already made for you, you don't have to do the cooking anymore okay"

Harry looked up inquisitively with his big Emerald green eyes. "But that's what Freaks are for" 

Remus knelt down so his face was level with Harry's. "Harry James Potter you are not a freak do you understand me? Your a little boy who should be looked after, not used as a slave!" Remus spoke rather sharply but harry didn't flinch away. His eyes just grew rounder as he looked into his godfathers face. It was a look of hope. Remus pulled him into a hug and rubbed his back. It felt nice, no one ever hugged him like this for as long as he could remember. 

"Harry do you like cooking?"Remus asked 

Harry instinctively tensed. This was a question, he was never asked questions, not unless it was a trap and the dursleys were trying to get him to give an opinion, which he was surely going to get beaten for. But as he looked into the lined face which wore a kindly expression, he relaxed. Somehow he new Remus genuinely wanted to know. He wasn't like the dursleys, harry could trust him.