Chapter 4: Skip Trace

"Just toss everything you have in the bag," Nina said, "it'll stay fresh for weeks."

Max looked down at the silver duffle bag dubiously, before shrugging. The girl has certainly shown stranger abilities, Max thought as he placed a carton of orange juice into the bag. The sides never bulged, no matter how many cans or frozen pastries he dropped into it.

"That's about everything," Max reached behind him, his fingers passing over an empty plate. "Did you eat all the sandwiches already? I had one, you must have eaten ... at least five."

"What can I say? I'm a growing girl."

Max narrowed his eyes but said nothing. He was smart enough not to fall into that trap.

He swung his legs over a stool next to the counter and began sipping a cup of black coffee. At least some things are still just right. The lack of control was beginning to eat at Max, slowly eroding his ability to stay calm.

All I wanted was to be left in peace. He could let the Chads of the world run things, as long as Max was allowed his own small corner. If he was just left alone and given time to uncover his grandfather's secrets, Max knew he could stand on equal footing with anyone. But now ...

I had to play the hero.

"Look," he said, "I have to warn you —"

Max was interrupted by the sound of Nina's stomach growling.

"Sorry," she smiled and gave a slight shrug, "we've been on the run for days. I've barely had time to feed myself let alone ..."

"Let alone what? And you said we."

"That's ... I wasn't alone originally, okay?"

"I'm sorry," Max sighed. "I didn't know."

"It's fine, what were you saying before? A warning?"

Max sighed, he obviously wasn't going to get any answers out of her. He watched as Nina opened a jar of peanut butter and began smearing it on bread with a small stiletto. She seemed calm as if they hadn't just jumped off a bridge and run through a sewer. Even after all that, she still smelled good.

"Right," Max said, "the dungeon has ... tests I need to complete before I can proceed further. So far, I haven't been able to get past the first level, and each time I fail I end up back in the shed with a timer counting down the hours until I can try again."

Nina's smile turned into a wince as she tried a sip of coffee.

"This," her face softened a bit, "well, it's not bad. It's no earl grey, but it's not as unpleasant as I thought it would be."

"You keep avoiding my questions."

"You didn't ask one," she said, ignoring Max's blank stare. "But look, what level are you?"

"Fourth."

"That's, wow, I knew you were single digits. Four," she shook her head, "Listen Max I'm a level thirty-two Regent. Whatever little tests this dungeon has, I think I'll be able to handle them. You can just stay behind me."

"Thank you."

"For what, protecting you? I think —"

"I wasn't thanking you ... I was. Just stop being so insufferable! I've risked my life, and now we have what, hours at the most? And then company agents kick down the door to my grandfather's house, the house I was raised in, and you ... you can't even say thank you."

Nina sighed, "Thank you, Max. Truly, but we don't have time for this. My brother's men could be here any moment."

"Just who is your brother?"