Broken

Kaycee's and Sean's family were all down at the beach and everyone was smiling and catching up. Sean was sitting next to Kaycee while Kaycee's parents and Sean's parents sat next to each other and were in a deep conversation. There was a bonfire going and Kaycee began texting Tati about how Bailey and Tahani told her to make a move.

Tati- Kaycee I think you should wait to say anything
Kaycee- I guess but I can't wait forever, what if Tate and him start dating, then I will never get a chance.
Tati- Oh I forgot to tell you that I also invited Tate over for the party I'm sooo sorry, pls don't be mad.
Kaycee- it's ok, everyone is friends with her and like I said he probably doesn't even like me back.
Tati- I have a feeling he likes, you just give it time, maybe Tate is just a distraction.
Just then Sean looked over and asked "Who are you texting?" But Kaycee quickly shut off her phone and put it in her hoodie pocket.
She replied back, " Just Tati, she was asking me if I wanted to invite anyone else to her party." Sean just looked at Kaycee and nodded. He knew something was wrong with her because she is normally so bubbly and happy but she hasn't been for some time now. He just wishes she would come out with whatever she has to say.

"Sean can we talk" Kaycee said. It was almost as if she read his mind.
"Yes of course lets go talk." Then began to walk towards the ocean away from their family members and they sat in the sand. They sat there for a good ten minutes before Kaycee finally spoke up and said,
"Sean I'm sorry I've been so closed off lately. I just have something to tell you but I don't know how to say it."
"Kaycee please tell me. I miss you and your laugh."
Kaycee smiled at what he just said but then her smile quickly faded as she was about to admit something that would change everything. She took a deep breath and said,
"Sean, you and I have been friends for such a long time and you are literally my world. I uh...... I like you". Her words came out as a whisper. So Sean asked
"Kaycee what did you say?" Kaycee looked up at him and she immediately thought that he was angry or upset but she saw his face and he was genuinely confused.
" I like you Sean and I know we are just friends and I've come to terms that you will never be mine."
"Kaycee I like you to." Sean said. He did like her and the more he spent time with her the more he liked her. Her laugh, her smile, every little thing about her, he grew to love. It's taken him a while to understand his feelings but he gets it, he finally gets it.
She looked up at him and he grabbed her hand.
"Kaycee I'm sorry that it's taken me some time to understand how I feel about you. You are not like a little sister to me and you aren't just a friend. I feel something when I'm with you that I've never felt before. You bring out the best in me. You bring out the good in me."
"Sean thank you for that."
They both looked at each other and in that moment they were both so vulnerable. They both began to lean in but Sean said,
"But Tate."
Then tears began to fill Kaycee's eyes as she got up and let go of Sean's hand and said,
"I understand." She walked away as her mom called her over because they were leaving.

Everything in Sean's mind had gone blank. Tate and him had grown very close and they were a thing but he doesn't feel the same way about Tate that he does about Kaycee. He thought to himself as he sat in the sand alone about how his feelings for Tate didn't feel real. His mom then called him so they could leave. Kaycee knew that she had to put on a brave face but everything in her was breaking and her heart was broken. She knows Tati's party isn't going to be easy but she's going because she loves Tati, not because she wants to see Sean.....she finally told him how she truly felt and he broke her.