Devyn

"Hey Ted." He looks up from his desk as I shut the door.

"Oh, not again." He lets out an exasperated sigh as I walk over to his desk and take a seat. Ever since my mom disappeared and my dad stopped talking, Ted has become a big part of my life. I can't say it's been great, but I will admit, it's nice to have someone to talk to that understands what it's like to miss someone. He's not the best guy in the world, but it's better than nothing, right?

"Ted, this isn't bad I promise." His eyebrows shoot up. "Ok, I was sent here, but a kid in class brought up a subject that shouldn't have been spoken in class and I had to defend myself." He gives me a look, so I explain further. "No one can bring up mom and not get put in their place." His eyes fall back to his desk, which is cluttered with the files of the missing girls. I guess it isn't only law enforcement that has to deal with this. I never thought that a school would have to worry about it, but I guess I was wrong. Especially since most of them were students here.

"It's been a hard transition, but I feel like we're both getting better. I know I usually look the other way, but where is this boy who brought her up?" His eyes slowly narrow and I feel like I need to defend him. Curse him and his gorgeous face!

"Ok, he didn't bring her up directly, but he brought up the subject of her. I don't think he knows anything about what's been happening here, so if you could give him some slack..." I'm not sure how to end my sentence, so I just cut off. I guess I'm more like Lucius than I thought. Ok, bad thought bad thought. Let's think of something happy.

"Must be Lucius Doetsch." It's hard not to look surprised since he's the principal and all, but to know everyone by name...damn. He deserves credit for that. "Is he outside?" He points to his door and I nod. "Come in Lucius." Just as Lucius opens the door I whisper to Ted, "Try to be nice." He gives me a smile, but it's in no way comforting.

"So I hear you gave my niece a hard time in class." Lucius's eyes widen as he looks between Ted and I. Yes, it's true. The principal is my Uncle.

"Yes sir. We were having a debate about unexplained disappearances. Believe me sir, I had no idea it was a sensitive subject."

"As the principal I'm not allowed to let my emotions get the better of me, so instead of giving you detention, I'll let you off with a warning. Just make sure you watch what you say around here. Things haven't been exactly normal." Lucius nods his head, but his stance is rim rod straight. His manners are exquisite, but he'll need more than that if he wishes to survive here. "The two of you should get back to class." He quickly writes on a piece of paper. "Here's your pass."

"Thank you Mr. Jacobs." He heads toward the door.

"I'll see you later Ted," I say as Lucius and I leave his office.

"You didn't need to do that." I look at him confused, but keep walking, ignoring the fact that I know he's watching me. His eyes just distract me and I can't afford to make it obvious that I think he's one attractive looking guy. 

His eyes are just so blue I could get lost in them and I can't have that. Not now. Not ever. "You didn't need to defend me to your Uncle. I may be new here, but I shouldn't get out of certain punishments." I hold up my finger in a 'hold on' gesture as we pass Melody and exit the office. Once we're out I explain.

"Lucius, there are some things that you should know. You should be given a warning this one time because you are new. You have no idea what this town has been going through and it's only fair that you get a warning first. I mean, you couldn't know that..." I break off before I spill everything. Why do I want to tell him everything? No one should be burdened with my life. No one. He grabs my hand, taking me by surprise.