2 - "I didn't expect to see you here."

It had turned to night when Y/N finally arrived back at the palace, weary, sweaty and starved of both food and water. It had taken much longer than she would have liked, but she had the unfortunate opportunity of coming upon a herd of wild boars who had not taken a liking to her interrupting their afternoon nap. She had escaped them, but not without several scrapes and bruises from their sharp horns and strong bodies.

She had hoped, prayed even that she would happen upon her horse, but no such luck had befallen her. But she was left to fend for herself against the wilds of the forest that she had forgotten even existed. To put it plainly, she was exhausted and would have given up anything to collapse on the ground right then and there. She didn't though; it wasn't an option she could take. Instead, she forced herself to continue walking, grateful for the familiar surroundings of the city.

Finally, she reached the palace gates, the cape still tucked under her arm. Sighing once more, she walked towards them. She had only taken two steps before she heard someone behind her. When she turned her head to see who it was, she had the unfortunate chance of finding Loki standing on the street several feet away.

"I didn't expect to see you here." His voice was unbearably sarcastic, triggering her already hammered nerves. He paused, waiting for her reaction.

"Have you been waiting here this entire time just so you could tell me that?" The girl sputtered, throwing her free arm into the air.

"It's plausible." She stared at him in disbelief, so angry that she couldn't even form the words to yell at him. Did he seriously have the gall to pull a stunt like that and then act as if it were her fault? The look on his face answered that question for her.

"Close your mouth, you'll start drooling," Loki drawled, crossing his arms. She would have already had her fist in his weasley face were he not her immediate higher-up. He noticed the green fabric in her hands and raised his eyebrows, the corners of his mouth quirking up into a smile. "How faithful of you! I'll admit, I didn't—" He was interrupted by Y/N as she stalked up to him and shoved it into his arms forcefully, gritting her teeth to keep herself from shouting obscenities.

"You're welcome," she hissed, releasing it and leaving Loki staring at her in shock. "I hope this whole ordeal was fun for you," she said, nearly spitting the words out. She knew that if she was in her right mind she would have been horrified at the way she had just addressed him, but her exhaustion and hunger had got to her long before. Giving him one last glare, she turned on her heel and stomped off towards the gates.

"You dare speak to your prince in such a way?" Loki called after her, her tone and words throwing him off guard as his voice rose to a dangerous level. As if! Now Y/N knew that he was causing a scene on purpose. To Loki, this was just a chance to assert dominance and to establish his place as a member of the royal family. He would fight for this one, but she would be damned if she let him off that easy.

Turning to face him, she kept her fists clenched at her sides. Even from this far away she could see the demeaning look he was giving her, his nostrils flaring as his emerald eyes bored into hers. Y/N was glad that there weren't many people around at the time; the ones who were near were finding any excuse to leave, not wanting to stay in the presence of angry royalty. But she knew Loki would take what he could get. This was going to be something she regretted later.

"You know Loki, has anyone told you that you're an insufferable brat?"

"Excuse me?"

"I don't know if you've noticed," she continued, "but the universe doesn't revolve around you. You treat everyone as if they were beneath you, yet you expect to the same to turn around and show you respect?" A surge of confidence pushed her to continue, so she did. "I can tell you right here, right now that it does not work like that." Loki seemed more startled than angry now, his eyes wide as she stalked towards him.