Chapter 3

BEEP BEEP BEEP

I woke up with a start, and groaned. I clumsily pressed the off button and stumbled out of bed. Yejun probably already left for school.

I went and quickly brushed my teeth and changed. I started down the stairs and I could already hear my mother cooking. The sizzle of bacon, and the aroma of pancakes permeating the air.

I looked over at the dining table and saw that dad wasn't there. He must have not come home yesterday. I sighed and walked into the kitchen, seeing my mom in her usual pink apron.

"Hey mom," I said, swooping down to give her kiss on the cheek. "Hey hunny," She said smiling. "Go sit at the table. I'll get you your breakfast."

I nodded and complied. She came in holding plates of pancakes and bacon. I hurriedly ate, and packed my bag.

"I'll get going mom!" I yelled to her from the front door. "Do you not want a ride?" My mom asked, walking towards me.

"I'm fine. Today it's nice out and I have 20 minutes till school starts." I replied, shoving on my last sneaker. She nodded and waved a good bye. Surprisingly, the weather was nice despite the rain that happened yesterday. The sky was clear and the sun was just rising.

I started walking towards the school, making sure that I wasn't running late. If I was late again, Mrs.Dawson would make all hell break loose.

I saw a glimpse of the school and started hurrying. I was walking past the field and I could see the football players having early morning practice. I caught sight of familiar platinum blonde hair, but I shook my head and headed inside.

I walked in and could see everyone scrambling to get to class. The first bell must've rang already.

I hurried to Mrs.Dawsons classroom, and thankfully I wasn't late.

"Hello class," Mrs.Dawson said in an awfully cheery voice.

"Hello.." we all replied, curious as to why she was acting this way.

"You're probably all wondering why I'm in such a great mood," she said, reading our minds exactly. "Well, today is the day I choose the main leads!"

The girls started whispering happily, and even some boys were looking at each other excited. I honestly wanted to do the least amount of work possible. I just wanted to be a tree or something. I had some acting experience, because not to brag, but I played the grass in my kindergarten play.

"So I've decided that we will be doing Romeo and Juliet-"

Aaron walked in and handed Mrs.Dawson a pass. "Sorry football ended late," he said taking his usual seat behind me.

"As I was saying, We will be doing Romeo and Juliet. I'll pass out the books and while I'm doing that turn in your annotations from yesterday," she said walking to her desk to get the books out.

I felt Aaron poke me between my shoulder blades. I ignored him. He kept poking me and I couldn't stand it. "What do you want?" I whispered furiously at him.

"Can I copy your annotations?" He whispered back. "No." I said turning back around. He poked me again. "Quit that," I hissed. "I will if you give me your annotations,"

"No"

He poked me harder this time. "Ow, Stop!"

"Boy you sure are weak," he said chuckling. Yeah now I really want to give you my notes. "Please!" He begged. "Why didn't you do it yourself?" I said back. "Cause some of us actually have lives." Was he actually asking me or was he just trying to piss me off.

We started bickering for 5 minutes straight until we realized the whole class was staring at us. I awkwardly cleared my throat and turned around.

Mrs.Dawson looked at us, a small smile on her face. I was hella scared. "You know what I already have two people in mind to play the main leads," she said. The class looked at her confused. "Aaron and Dylan."

What.

The.

Fuck?

She was obviously kidding right? Right?!

"With all due respect," I said. "It's Romeo and Juliet, not Romeo and Julio."

"I agree," I heard Aaron say "I'm not playing his love interest! And plus Juliet is a girl. G-I-R-L. Girl. Unless Dylan has some news for us I don't think this will work out!"

This is the first time me and Aaron have ever agreed on something.

"Actually, this is a brilliant idea. Mrs.Dawson said we had to add a modern variable to our play and two gay men is a perfect way to do that. Instead of the two feuding families, it's society that pressures the two lovers. Two men in love is still frowned upon in some places and that could be our conflict," a girl named Sadie said.

I never wanted to throw a girl out the window more than I wanted to now.

"Brilliantly said Sadie!" Mrs.Dawson said clapping her hands together. Some of the boys started snickering.

"You know what? I'm not doing this! I'm not gay! I have a girlfriend!" Aaron said. "You'll have to or I'm giving you a zero," Mrs.Dawson said. "I don't care." He responded.

"You do know that you're almost failing this class and if you get a zero on your finals you'll have to stay for summer school. Maybe even get held back a grade." She responded. "But it's your call"

He huffed, "fine, but I'm Romeo, Dylan's Juliet."

"Uh hell to the no! I'm Romeo," I argued. "Ehh.." Mrs.Dawson said skeptically. My mouth gaped open. Even she wasn't on my side.

"Nah you're totally a bottom," a boy called out. "Yeah Aarons a top for sure," a girl said, a dreamy look in her eye. "Dylan? Dominating" another girl snorted.

Gee, thanks guys. I knew I can count on y'all.