Chapter 8

"Mom, we cant stay here. Please I cannot live with him." I grumbled, as I slumped down on the bed. Adeline had given us some time to freshen up before dinner, and I used all that time to beg my mom to leave.

"I'm sorry Dylan. I get that you and Aaron probably don't get along at school, but we just can't. We don't have enough money. And no one else is going to be as generous as Adeline." The tone of her voice made it obvious that it was the end of the discussion.

"Ok fine, but I'm not sleeping in his room!" I huffed.

~•~

We all were seated at the dining table, my mom, Adeline, and Adeline's husband were all talking animatedly. Yejun was talking about school with Anya, and Aaron and I both sat silently. It was obvious he would rather be anywhere but here.

The feeling was mutual.

I sat there for ten more minutes, picking at my peas until I finally excused myself. I went upstairs to just go to sleep and wake up from this nightmare, but instead yelped in surprise as I was pulled backwards by my collar.

"Why are you here?" Aaron growled. "It's not like I want to be. Now let go," I said recovering from the shock, as I tried to shrug out of his grip. He slammed his hand on the wall trapping me from going any further, "I said, tell me why you're here. No ones telling me shit and I don't need you or your family to invade our privacy."

"Move." I ducked under his arm, but he grabbed my wrist instead. "Just fucking tell me why you're here."

"Fuck yo-"

His grip tightened on my wrist, and that's when I lost it. "You wanna know why I'm here Aaron?! Cause my fucking dad is a bastard that hooks up with girls at the bar and doesn't care about his sons or his wife that works all day and night. And the fact that we're basically broke now because my mom barely gets paid enough at work, and on top of that she now has two sons to feed on one paycheck. Is that what you want to hear Aaron? Cause there it is. That's my fucking life. Now fuck off."

I pushed him out of the way and slammed the door shut to the guest room. I stood at the door, my chest heaving as tears burned beneath my eyelids. My life was a mess and there was nothing I could do about it.

~•~

I woke up to a loud thud, which I soon realized was Yejun who had fallen out of bed. He mumbled something incoherent but didn't stir from his sleep.

After another 2 days of Yejun falling out of bed or being close to falling off, we realized three people in fact could not sleep on the bed. And there was no room on the floor either, so that idea was out.

With much thinking, the only logical thing was for me to sleep in Aaron's room. Which fucking sucks. I had volunteered Yejun to go sleep out in the hallway. That was rejected immediately. I even volunteered to sleep in the bathtub. That was also, indeed, rejected.

But I had more pressing concerns right now. I had to get to school and I didn't know how. It takes at least 15 minutes to get to school from here by car, so I couldn't walk. My mom needed her car to go to work, Anya was already at college, Yejun rode the bus, Aaron's mom and dad left for work, and the only option left was to go with Aaron.

Guess who hates their life? Yeah that's right. It's me.

Aaron and I hadn't talked more than two words after I blew up on him, and we tried to avoid any interaction with one another which was 100% fine by me.