Chapter 7

I cracked my eyes open. The sunlight filtered in from the partially open blinds. I sat up groggily and that was when the events of the previous night rushed back to me. I always knew my dad was a crappy man, but I didn't think he'd swoop so low as to kicking his family to the curb.

I made sure Yejun was still asleep and quietly tiptoed out of the room. I slowly cracked the door to my moms room open and saw suitcases and boxes littering the floor.

"So," I said, making my presence known, "last nights fight was pretty bad.."

My mom looked up at me, her eyes red rimmed and puffy. "Yeah it was pretty bad. The divorce papers are on the dresser," she replied sadly, as she continued to pack. I walked over to her and gave her hug. "Are you alright mom?"

She chuckled wryly and rubbed her arm up and down my back. "Isn't it me that's supposed to be asking you that?" I sat down on the bed and sighed. "So where are we going to go? It's not like we have enough money to rent an apartment or anything."

"Yeah I know. I called a friend of mine and she agreed to let us stay at her house until we get back on our feet," my mom said, sitting down on the bed next to me.

"I mean.. I could probably get a part time job somewhere to get us some extra money," I said.
"No, Dylan. I don't need you to be doing anything right now, except studying and trying to do well on your finals. I'm the adult here and I will take care of everything ok?" My mom said, getting up and continuing to pack. I glumly nodded and headed to the bathroom to freshen up.

I took a quick shower and decided to start packing my stuff as well. My dad did want us all out by tonight.

I hadn't realized how much stuff I had until I needed to pack it all. Hours later and I still wasn't even close to being done.

My brother on the other hand hadn't taken the news so well. He had sat on the couch pouting, refusing to do any work cause he didn't want to move. My mom was coaxing him, and trying to persuade him that we were going to have fun at the new place we were staying at. Slowly, (with a lot of persuading and begging) he got up and started packing his stuff.

It was nearing 3:30 when we finished all of our packing. I looked around my empty room, and was hit with a wave of sadness. Believe it or not, I was actually going to miss this house, and the family we used to be. I took my first steps here and spoke my first words here. I remember the first birthday party I held here. I was turning 7 and only my cousins came but still. I remember going to the pool every Saturday during summer with mom and dad and getting Ice cream every single time. I remember the day that Yejun came to live with us.

"Honey?" My mom said coming into the room. I turned around trying to put on a blank face. "Yeah?"

"You almost done packing?" She asked, looking around my room. I nodded, "I'm done, I just need to bring these two boxes down."

"Ok honey. The moving van is outside, ok?" she said. I walked down with the two boxes and set them down near the door. I looked around the house, and it wasn't empty like you would've thought. My dad was the one that bought most of the furniture so everything was still intact for the most part.

My mom, being the epitome of pettiness, had taken all the coffee mugs and cups, because that was one of the only things she actually paid for with her own money.

I heard my mom sigh, "ready?" I nodded and gave her a hug. "Let's do this!" I said, plastering on a fake smile. Yejun was already outside sitting on a small ledge on the front yard.

I grabbed the two boxes by the door and headed to my moms car. "Come on Yejun, get in the car." He trailed after me and said in a whiny voice, "I don't want to leave!"

I set the two boxes in the trunk and sighed. "I know it's not fair, but that's how life is."

In all honesty I didn't believe any of that 'it is what it is' bullshit. The only reason I'm not throwing a big tantrum or personally hunting my father down is because my mom already has enough on her plate.

"Ok boys, I locked the door and double-checked if we got everything. Let's get going, Adeline is expecting us," my mom said, climbing into the drivers seat. "Adeline?" I asked.

"Adeline was my best friend all the way from middle school, She offered to house us until we got enough money to rent an apartment."

My mom backed out of the driveway and started driving. I looked back at our house for the last time and sighed.

~•~

It took maybe 20 minutes for us to finally reach Adeline's house, and I stared at the house for a good five minutes. The house was a normal sized house made of dark red bricks. It had a small front lawn filled with overgrown grass and a few stray weeds poking up here and there, and a few steps leading up to the door.

The front door opened and a middle aged lady, maybe around 40 years old rushed out of the house to hug mom. "How are you holding up sweetheart?" Adeline asked. "Actually.. not too bad. I just finally feel free I guess. I just feel bad about intruding in your house," mom replied, gathering some boxes from the trunk. Yejun and I took some boxes also and followed the lady and mom to the house.

"You are not intruding at all. You're free to stay here as long as you would like," Adeline said, leading us inside. I looked around the house and saw a staircase leading upstairs, a large wooden dining table and a very large portrait of Jesus hung on the wall.

"You can keep all your clothes and the stuff you need in the bedrooms and all the stuff you don't need right now can go in the attic," Adeline said. "Thank you so much Adeline, I can't thank you enough for this," my mom said. "I know you'd do the same for me Hannah," Adeline said back.

After moving all the boxes inside, we paid the movers and started sorting through the things we needed and the stuff we didn't need.

"So we only have four bedrooms, one for me and my husband, one for my daughter and the other for my son. And only one guest bedroom," Adeline said. "Oh that's no problem, we'll manage," my mom said quickly.

"I was maybe thinking that you and Yejun could share the guest room, and Dylan can share a room with my son. He's also a senior in high school like Dylan so it won't be too bad." Adeline replied. My mom glanced at me and back at Adeline, "I just don't want to cause any trouble to your family."

"No no, it's all good. My son will be fine with it," Adeline said, giving a reassuring smile. I really didn't want to share a room with a random teenage boy, that's just kind of weird in my opinion, but no one cared to ask me about the accommodations so I just kept my mouth shut.

Approximately 30 minutes later I heard the front door open, and in came a tall figure with wavy blonde hair. I took a double take when I realized it was Anya, the girl I met at the park.

A second figure emerged from behind Anya and that's when the floor fell out beneath me because of course cause it was none other than..

Aaron.