Chapter 12

The Dollmaker | Chapter 12

Lee laid on the hospital bed, in deep sleep. A single flower inside a vase from Sakura's visit.

The door slid open as the One-Tail's host walked in.

"Ugh..." he clutched his head in pain, remembering how that man with the same bowl-cut hair defended and protected Lee. That man had glared at Gaara with a look of protectiveness for the sleeping boy.

'Why...' Gaara trembled as he took step after step towards the unconscious Genin.

His trembling hand hovered over Lee's head as he slowly closed the distance, the sand swirling. The grains of sand covered Lee's neck before slowly spreading to his face. Just as Gaara got ready to clench his fist and finish the action, his eyes widened.

'My body... can't move..'

"!!" Gaara fell back after a fist flew to his cheek by a blond Genin.

"Uwaah!!" His companion yelled, also punched.

"What are you doing here, you bastard?!" Naruto yelled, in anger.

"Hey Naruto, while I'm using the Shadow Copy No Jutsu, I move the same as him." Shikamaru reminded.

"Sorry, Shikamaru..."

Gaara noticed his shadow connect to the slothful Genin. Gaara could feel his face starting to crack as he saw the two boys glaring at him.

"You... what are you up to?" Naruto asked, taking a defensive position with Shikamaru. After a moment, seeing as Gaara kept quiet, he asked even louder, "Hey!! What were you trying to do to thick brows?!!"

Without further delay, Gaara confessed, "I was trying to kill him."

"What?!"

To say Naruto and Shikamaru were shocked would be an understatement.

'How can he stay so calm? He shouldn't be able to move from my Shadow Copy No Jutsu...'

"Why is there a need to do that? You won the fight! Do you have some personal grudge against him?" Shikamaru asked.

"I do not," Gaara responded, blunt with his words. "I'm going to kill him just because I want to kill him."

"What the hell are you talking about?!" Naruto pointed at him, "Bastard!!"

After a bit of altercation, Naruto explained why he wouldn't lose to Gaara's 'monstrous strength'.

The One-Tail host paused, "A monster... " It triggered something deep in him. 

Gaara explained the tragedy of his birth and the greed and fear of his father.

Unknown to those in the room, Nao was listening in. Said male had followed the redhead Genin as soon as he saw him in the medic center. Nao had wanted to see what was so special about the boy that caused his savior to take interest. Plus, he could use this chance to restock their medical supplies; knowing they would leave the village soon.

Hearing their dispute, Nao knew he needed to report this new information to Sarah. Except he hesitated for a moment; Sarah was already very interested in the two Genins, what if she took them under her wings as well as she did Yuji and him?

That thought didn't last long because he found himself sending a trademark butterfly to the Doll about what had just conspired. 

In the end, he was and will be loyal to her, no matter what happens.