3~Family Scars

The next day 
"Got to get moving, can't be late on your first day" his mom said knocking on his door, before walking away.

"Wake up doofus, you think I wanna go to school, no, but I'm up" Thomas raised his voice to ensure Derek could hear him, as he ran down the stairs.

"I'm coming" Derek groaned, picking himself up.

"Are you driving us to school today?" Thomas asked, taking the bowl of cereal his mom held out for him.

"Yeah, but Derek do you mind picking them up after school I've got a job interview today and I can't be rushing around everywhere?" Talia asked her son, handing him his preferred slice of toast.

"Yeah sure, don't mind" he said, messing up Thomas' hair before sitting down beside him.

"Mommy?" Cora walked into the room quietly, clutching on tight to her stuffed wolf for comfort.

"Yes, darling?" Talia questioned, lifting her daughter onto a chair by the table.

"When is daddy coming?" she questioned, making Talia stop in step.

"He isn't baby" she said simply, going back into the adjoining kitchen, washing up the dishes from last night's dinner.

"What do you mean? Is he busy working?" Thomas asked, slurping the remaining milk from his bowl.

"Stop that" Derek took the bowl from him, taking their dishes over to the sink to be cleaned.

"Still haven't answered us" Thomas stated, crossing his arms to indicate he isn't leaving until he finds out. Derek looked over at his mom to see she'd gone pale, so he took the initiative. 

"We're taking a break from New York, okay?" Derek told them simply "Now, let's go get ready" he cheered as he picked Cora up, making her giggle "You too, Thomas" he rested a hand on his brothers back, getting him to get up.

"Thank you" he saw his mom mouth to him, to which he simply nodded, plastering on a smile.

After sending Thomas to his room, and laying out an outfit for Cora to put on, he left to his own room to get ready. Soon after he threw on some navy jeans, a white t-shirt and a long sleeved maroon shirt, along with some white sneakers, he got his bag ready. Whilst he was washing his face after brushing his teeth he heard a loud crash come from downstairs, anyone else would think someone just dropped a plate, in this family, that was never the case.

He quietly made his way downstairs, and as he turned the corner the sight scared him half to death. The table was broken in half, and right next to it was his mother laying on the ground, with his fathers hands pushing down around her throat, they were so tight her face was turning purple. 

"Get off of her!" Derek jumped into action, running over to the scene and kicked his father in the head, releasing his hands from Talia's throat, to clutch the side of his head.

"Derek, get them out" her voice was hoarse from being strangled for so long "They don't need to see this" she directed to the kids who were hiding behind the broken table, Thomas' clutching onto Cora protectively. 

"Kids, go" Derek ordered, as he went to pick up his mom off the ground, her screams when Derek touched her shoulder seemed to wake Michael out of his daze.

"Don't you dare!" Michael yelled, getting their attention "Thomas, Cora, why don't you come give daddy a hug, huh?" he stared at them, a fake smile on his lips.

"You're not going anywhere near them ever again" Derek stepped back, his mother by his side, leaning onto him for balance.

"I think you forgot who has the more power, Derek" Michael spat out, taking a step closer. Derek looked over at the younger ones when he saw a slight movement in the corner of his eye, Thomas was moving closer with his hand clutched with Cora's.