4~Never Leave

Then all Derek could hear was a ringing in his ears from a gunshot.

20 minutes earlier
What the hell is happening! Is the only sentence running through Thomas' head right now, which is what led him to make a run for it towards the house phone to begin.

"Pick up, pick up, pick up" Thomas said impatiently, rocking back and forth nervously.

"Hello, operator here would you like police, ambulance, or fire station?" a lady on the other side of the call asked

"I need police AND ambulance" Thomas whisper yelled not wanting his dad to hear that he was getting help, scared if he would do something to him.

"Okay we're sending someone over right now don't worry, now I need a little information, what's your name and how old are you?" the operator asked.

"My name's Thomas and I'm twelve" he rushed out, trying to block out what was happening in the room next to him.

"Okay Thomas, do you wanna tell me what's happening?" how could she sound so calm, was all Thomas could think about, then remembered the question.

"It's my dad, he came into our house and started attacking my mum" Thomas said trying his best not to freak out.

"Is there anyone else there with you?" the operator rushed out.

"My sister, Cora-" the lady cut Thomas off.

"How old is your sister Thomas?" all he wants to do is scream for help, why is that important, but he answered regardless. 

"She's six, there's Derek too, Derek's here" Thomas said, wishing he could help them.

"Is Derek your brother? Where is Derek right now?"

"Yes, he's upstairs" a loud crash in the kitchen caused Thomas to drop the phone, he peeked around the corner to see his dad had his hands around his mothers neck, and before he knew it he was being kicked in the head by Derek "He's here, mum's gonna be okay right?" he didn't need an answer, he knew Derek would project them.

"Who's there with you Thomas?" the lady asked, a hint of worry lacing her voice.

"My brother; Derek" 

Now

The sound of sirens in the distance filled Derek with hope, he wasn't entirely sure what was happening around him, he must of hit his head. He remembers the sound of a bullet being fired, but he didn't feel any extra pain to what he was already feeling, was he perhaps in too much shock to be able to feel it?

After a few seconds the ringing seemed to stop in his ears, it's when he felt a sudden weight on top of him that he realised there was also a lot of blood surrounding him. He freaked out for a second when he thought he was bleeding out, then he opened his eyes wider to see Michael was the weight on top of him, and it all came back to him. 

He'd turned around quickly and grabbed hold of Michael's a wrist, causing the gun to be pointed at the ceiling, he remembers struggling to get the gun out of Michael's tight grip, but somehow he managed to get his hands to to twist the gun down at the ground, and at the last minute it went off. It must of hit him!

"Derek!!" a high pitched scream, along with a deeper tone called out to him. He used all the strength he had left to push Michael off of him, and attempted to sit up, but it was too painful.

"Derek!" a hand rested on his chest, he looked up to see Thomas and Cora, they were both fine, not a single scratch.

"Thank god you're okay" he didn't care about the pain at that point, he managed to push himself up and engulfed them both in a tight hug. Derek held onto them tightly, never wanting them out of his sight ever again, but when the sound of the door crashed open he feared Michael brought someone with him.

"In here!" a sigh of relief washed through him when a police officer and a paramedic came into sight "You kids okay?" he asked, putting his gun away, when he saw there was no sign of threat.

"Not really" Thomas said quietly, that's when a bunch of paramedics came rushing in with first aids kits.

"My mom first, she's pregnant" Derek refused, until his mother received attention first.

"Your in bad shape kid, you need medical assistance too" a paramedic told him, cutting Derek's shirt to be able to clean up his wound "You're going to need some stitches, we better get to the hospital" the man said, two of them aiding him to stand up.

"I am not going anywhere without my mother" Derek made it clear his family came first, he took hold of Cora's hand and pulled Thomas to his side, definitely not letting them take them away. 

"Your mom is right behind us" a man directed to the team that were lifting their mom onto a stretcher, she seemed completely lifeless "You're all going to be fine" the man reassured them. Derek spared one more glance at the kitchen, that was the last he saw of his fathers face before two police offers covered him with a tarp.

Derek didn't feel good whatsoever, he almost fainted as he stepped up into the ambulance, luckily a paramedic caught him before he stumbled. 

"You need to sit down kid, you've lost quite a bit of blood" the man helped him up into the ambulance, sitting him down on the gurney, resting his hand on his wound free shoulder to get him to lay down.

"No, I can't rest until I know everyone's okay" Derek fought against the man, swinging his legs over the side to sit up comfortably. 

"Look your mom is heading to the hospital in another ambulance as we speak, and your siblings are-" he wasn't able to finish before a look of worry overtook Derek's face.

"Where's Cora and Thomas?" Derek started to worry because the last time he left them alone Michael broke in "Where are they?" Derek felt like he couldn't catch his breath, what was happening, where are they?

"Derek, breath" the man said calmly "They're okay, they're coming with me to the hospital, I'm the sheriff, my names Noah"

"Let me see them, they'll only freak out if they don't know where I'm going" Derek knew he shouldn't be demanding things, but he couldn't help it. The sheriff stepped out of the vehicle for a second, before gesturing for someone to come over. A few seconds later the kids wandered over, jumping into the back of the ambulance the second they see Derek.

"We thought you were leaving us" Thomas confessed falling into Derek's open arms.

"What, I could never leave you guys" Derek freed his arms from Thomas' to pull Cora onto his lap, brushing a strand of hair that had come loose from her pigtails.

"I don't want you to go" Cora sobbed into Derek's shoulder, careful of the bandage the paramedic has placed there to protect it from any debris.

"I'm not going anywhere" Derek returned the hug, pulling Thomas in at the same time "As long as you both are here I'm never leaving your side"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Published~ September 28, 2018

Re-edited: November 4, 2020