Chapter 4: The Point of No Return

suprise! two updates back to back? i just couldn't help myself :)

School started at the end of August, when the summer breeze was warm, and the trees were still green. Anne liked summer, but now, with the end of September nearing, she realized that she might just like Fall in Avonlea more than the summer. Avonlea High School was as busy as ever, and the football season was starting. They weren't very good in all honesty, but they did try, Anne admired that for sure.

She was walking to school alone one Wednesday, when her phone started to ding uncontrollably. This probably meant it was Diana, seeing that Marrila doesn't text line after line, and crafts a careful message for Anne. Diana sends texts in spasms.

Meet be before school plz. I have news!

It's super duper important

Life changing

You better hurry!!

Anne giggled to herself and ran the rest of the way to school.

By the time she got there, the whole group of girls had gathered around Diana, and they were whispering excitedly. When Diana saw Anne, she broke away from the small, huddled group.

"Oh Anne, did you hear? We are playing Charlottetown High in a Homecoming game! There's going to be a pep rally before, and the next night, there's going to be a Homecoming dance! Won't that be exciting?" Her best friend was beaming at her, and Anne was just too stunned, and didn't really know what to say.

"Diana, that is wonderful!" Anne said smiling, but then it quickly faded into a frown, "But don't you have to take a date for the dance? Oh, and you'll get asked quickly Diana, you are the prettiest girl at school."

Diana laughed, "Anne, I'm not gonna leave you! We'll go as a group." She said, turning to the other girls, "All six of us!"

"There's no way I'm-" Josie started to remark but was quickly hit in the arm by both Jane and Tillie. She sighed and rolled her eyes, "Fine."

The girls all squealed, and Anne listened to them talk about it all morning.

...

Gilbert liked football. He really did. He liked a lot of boys on the team, and it was a good way to get all of his anger and energy out. He liked football.

Gilbert did not like Billy Andrews or his two friends, who talked endlessly about all the girls they were going to bang after the game, or about how some girls were really hot, or how Anne Shirley-Cuthbert was the ugliest girl out of the group.

Yes, he had heard him say that, and done absolutely nothing about it.

The thought of him not defending Anne sickened him, it truly did. But Gilbert had other issues. For example, Charlie and Moody kept trying to set him up with someone. They talked endlessly about Homecoming, and who they were asking. Charlie was trying to ask Diana, and Moody really wanted to ask Josie (like she would ever), but they were always trying to set Gilbert up with Ruby.

"Just ask her! It's not a big deal. We can tell you like her." Said Moody one day. Gilbert literally took a huge step back.

"Moody, I have no romantic feelings for Ruby, nor anyone right now. Plus, I would rather just stay home and read a book." Gilbert said, slamming his locker.

They both looked at him like he was out of his mind.

"Gil, you can't just stay home! Man, sometimes I think Anne is right. You really are a dumbass." Charlie said with a chuckle. Gilbert froze at her name.