11

"This is nice...isn't it?" I ask.

It was all part of the plan. What was the plan? The plan was getting them all in the same room all at the same time. We're at lunch. Topaz is sitting next to me. Onyx is sitting across from him. Copper has pulled up a chair and he's barely sitting at the table. He's brought a black cloud with him even on this Sunny California day. It's the middle of the day. It's the only time I'm able to get the three brothers together. We are in a nice restaurant. It's actually one of the nicest in the city. It's a rooftop. It's probably the nicest place I've ever eaten at. It's my idea but Topaz is fronting the bill. You would think something like this would make them happy but that's not the case. Onyx is still being resistant to his feelings towards me and Copper is just out of it.

Luckily I have Topaz in my corner, "It's perfect."

Topaz looks at me and smiles. It's the perfect smile.

"Of course you think that," Onyx states.

Topaz lifts an eyebrow, "What's that supposed to mean?"

Onyx looks at Topaz. He looks at me. Then he looks in his phone, "Oh nothing."

I watch as he starts texting. It isn't normal texting. He's texting frantically as though trying to get a point across. I watch as he's going off on his phone and I am honestly irritated. The location may be swank. It may be beautiful, but I'm not here for this. I'm here for the brothers. I'm here to make sure we were all on the same page.

"Onyx, can you please put your phone down? Who are you texting?"

"Can we make this short?" Onyx asks, "I have a meeting with my counselor."

Hearing Onyx mention his counselor pisses me off a little bit to tell you the truth. I know it's Syn. Syn is still working that bullshit on him.

"He knows you here?" Topaz asks.

"Of course," Onyx states, "I shared my location with him. I told him I was invited. He wanted updates."

I can't take it anymore. I reach across the table and grab his phone straight out of his hand. This causes him to stand up clearly feeling antagonized when I do it. He doesn't do anything after giving me this hard look though. He just rolls his eyes and sits back down in the next few seconds. I can tell he's resisting me but I still had to mean something to him. You don't just shut your feelings off that quickly. Not if he was falling in love with me like he said he was.

Maybe that's why he looks away. He stares out into the distance. Onyx is having an internal struggle and I had to make sure he ended up on the right side.

"Things are going great," I tell the team.

Onyx almost laughs, "Going great? What's going great? Mom still being in the hospital with us not being able to come to a conclusion on what we are going to do with her? Or is Ainsley's suicide doing great? Or how about the fact that Jericho has completely abandoned us and no one seems to know where he disappeared to."

"Things are falling apart..."

That last one comes from Copper. It seems to be the first time he's spoken all day. He buries his head into the ground. Something triggered him to come into the conversation. It had to be Onyx bringing up Jericho. Copper and I both knew where Jericho really was. He was in the ground somewhere. Jericho was dead. Copper's tone is heavy. It's dark. Still, he was talking after all this time. He had finally seemed to snap into reality and that was more than I was expecting. It causes the rest of us to turn and pay attention.

This was all part of the plan too. You break them down and you build them up.

"It's time to get your careers back on track. All of your careers."