chapter two .

He really was too friendly for Yoongi's comfort. Every chance that arose, Jimin would turn around in his seat to talk to Yoongi, who, to the best of his ability, tried to block Jimin out without seeming too obvious about it. Typically on the first day of the first semester, Yoongi hardly paid any attention to what the teachers were saying anyway; for the most part they merely greeted the students in an overly cheery manner and briefly introduced what they had planned for the school year. Except one teacher, who threatened to confiscate Yoongi's phone if he didn't stop texting during class. Truthfully, though, he wasn't texting, since Namjoon was too busy being sick and lazy to respond. Rather, he pretended to be texting someone in hopes that Jimin wouldn't try to speak to him.

His efforts failed miserably.

"Hey, Yoongi, are you any good at math?" Jimin let out a quiet breath of exasperation. "By the sound of it, it seems like this year's course is gonna be complex. I suck at math. And Tae's kind of an idiot too, so he's no help."

As if sensing his name had been mentioned, Taehyung's head turned slightly in the direction of the back left corner of the room. He narrowed accusing eyes at Yoongi.

The mint-haired boy clenched his teeth and scarcely withheld a scowl. "Math gives me no trouble," he said simply. Jimin's expression lit up.

"Then you could help me? You know, if I ever start seeing one digit grades on my papers?"

Yoongi lifted a slow, judgmental gaze. "Has that ever happened?"

Shame washed over the other boy's face and he pressed his lips together, offering a somewhat guilty smile that made Yoongi roll his eyes. Taehyung rolled his eyes too, but no one was paying attention to him. Especially not Yoongi, who hardly paid attention to the person he was 'talking' to at the moment. On the other hand Jimin didn't allow the apathetic boy to drop the question he was keen on getting an answer to. He tapped his fingertips against Yoongi's desk.

"You're being annoying."

"Will you be my tutor?"

"First you slam my head into a wooden board, and now you're asking me to do you a favor?"

And thus the conversation ended abruptly, with Jimin gradually turning himself back around at the feeling of his guilt resurfacing. Guess he's still mad about that, he thought. Jimin decided then that he would leave the grumpy boy alone for a little while, not wanting to get on any more of his nerves.

Yoongi felt bad--just a little--but congratulated himself for achieving his goal in getting Jimin to leave him alone. One more second of those big brown eyes trained on him and Yoongi feared he would start visibly sweating.

One eternity later, the lunch bell rang. Jack-in-the-box Taehyung sprung out of his seat and glided over to Jimin, who he then seized by the arm and happily dragged out of the classroom before Yoongi could look up from his phone.

Yoongi: ur feeling better right

Yoongi: joon ansr

Joonie: i actually get sicker evry time u text

Yoongi: lies

Yoongi: ur gonna be in tomorrow right

Joonie: yoongs let me sleep

Joonie: go eat lunch or smth its that time isn't it

Yoongi: didn't bring a lunch

Joonie: buy smth

Yoongi: don't have money on me

Joonie: min yoongi i swear

He actually did bring a lunch that day. But he wanted to give Namjoon motivation to come back early. Namjoon was a kind soul, so perhaps if Yoongi acted irresponsibly enough, his friend would want to return to school to see that he was taking care of himself properly. Unfortunately for the both of them, however, Namjoon was a bit too under the weather to even consider going into school the next day. The words 'I won't be in today' hit Yoongi like a bus. He swore that he would stay home today as well. He would stay at Namjoon's house, even make him noodle soup if he had to. Anything. He just didn't want to walk into class alone again. The first day had been bad enough. Though he had tried his best to ignore it, it was a sinking, disheartening feeling not having Namjoon by his side, like a gap, a terrible, terrible gap that should have never been made. Yoongi hated crowds and attention. But sometimes he wondered if what he hated more was feeling alone.