Reaching For The Sun

|C|

I look to my left, V is sitting happily on Beckett's lap, finishing up her English homework while Beckett braids her hair. To my right, Mindy is talking to George about some new photography shoot he's planning. Across the table, Sasha has successfully smeared frosting across Jenna's face. Great. Seventh wheeling. Love it. Ever since the IMADs ended last month, my friends have slowly started focusing more on their relationships, and less on our friend group. Which is fine, except, it leaves me to sit awkwardly amongst three couples. I scroll through my Instagram for awhile until V finally speaks up.
"I forgot to tell you guys! Major spoiler alert. The winter recital this year, is The Nutcracker. Totally cliché," V says. I immediately perk up at the mention of our winter recital.
"I think it'll be cool. Have you and Helsweel started choreographing yet?" Sasha asks.
"Yeah. We already have the audition parts chosen for Clara, the Nutcracker, the mouse king, the sugar plum fairy, and a few other parts, Beckett helped too," V responds. My heart instantly drops. So V already knows the audition part for the lead and has probably been practicing it for days with Beckett. I sigh, I need that spot, it's my one chance at Juilliard.
"So, I guess we already know who the leads are," Jenna says, voicing everyone else's thoughts. V and Beckett shrug.
"Who are you guys gonna try out for?" V asks.
"I want to be an Arabian dancer, and maybe the Snow Queen," Mindy replies.
"I don't know, maybe a flower corps, and one of the party girls," Jenna responds.
"I'm auditioning for the Rat King. And Maybe I'll be your understudy Beckett," Sasha adds. V turns to me.
"You should try out for Clara, you could totally make it," she says. Honestly, I wish, but we all know Helsweel will make V audition for the spot, and if V auditions, no one else stands a chance. I shrug my shoulders.
"Maybe I'll try out for the Sugar Plum Fairy," I decide. That's a good enough part I guess, there's enough stage time with that roll to get seen by a scout. V and Beckett look at each other, then back at us.
"Actually, I'm trying out for the Sugar Plum Fairy," V says carefully.
"And I'm auditioning for the Rat King," Beckett adds.
"Since Beckett and I have already been accepted into early admissions for Juilliard, we talked to Helsweel, and we're backing off a bit from the leads," V explains.
"It gives other people a chance to be seen by scouts, and we can focus more on choreographing the recital, and for the Primas," Beckett says. Great, a pity part. I'm super happy for V and Beckett getting into Juilliard, really, I am. But going to Juilliard together has always been me and V's dream, and lately, it feels like I'm being left behind as she and Beckett spend more and more time preparing for Juilliard.
"Oh! And another thing! Since Keaton recently did so well in the IMADs, Helsweel said that Durani wanted to keep the buzz going, so they're letting us partner with the music department for the winter recital!" V says with a grin. Finally! Some actual good news.
"Yes! I love working with Jax! His tracks are so sick!" Sasha exclaims.
"Yeah and Alya is actually pretty nice once you get to know her," Jenna adds. Mindy nods in agreement and V turns to me once again.
"So, Beckett and I are meeting up with Miles tomorrow to work out some choreography for Clara's part, and we were wondering if you wanted to come? Another body would be super helpful," V asks. I smile, maybe it isn't a pity part.
"Wouldn't miss it," I tell her.

Word Count: 633